Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1274 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Average Charge Rates in England?

Thread title: Average Charge Rates in England?
Closed Thread    
02-17-2009, 11:00 PM
@sh is offline @sh
Expertise:
Software:

@sh is on a distinguished road

Old  Average Charge Rates in England?

Does someone have an indication of what the average charge rates are for a freelance web designer/developer in England (Oxfordshire in particular)?

I am currently reading "The Principles of Successful Freelancing" by Miles Burke and have followed the guidance in the book to calculate my hourly charge rate. This works out at ~£30 per hour. Cheap? Average? Or Expensive?

Thanks.

03-02-2009, 06:37 PM
kubarium is offline kubarium
Software:

kubarium is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi,

I'm reading the same book as well and my hourly rate is 47 Canadian dollars. I would like to get an answer for your question too.

Also, I would like to learn the reason why we should add up the salary because 47CAD seems a lot. That's even after I really optimized some costs but in a real company, I don't think I would have no chance to get paid that amount. Maybe, I'm missing something.

03-02-2009, 07:41 PM
@sh is offline @sh
Expertise:
Software:

@sh is on a distinguished road

Old

I have to agree that the rate (GBP30/CAD47) does seem quite high at first, specially when you compare it to what you would be earning as an employee. The thing to remember though is that this rate takes all your overheads into account :
  • Office Rent (or part of costs to rent your home)
  • Electricity
  • Cost of hardware/software
  • Phone bills, etc
If you were running a company and employing others, you would need to be able to pay all of your overheads as well as your employees' salaries and other benefits (health insurance, etc) from the business. This all needs to be taken into account in the charge rate.

If you didn't include your own salary in the rate, it would be just like working for a company who paid your rent, utilities, etc but didn't pay you any money.

You could of course opt to re-invest a good part of the salary you take back into the business.

Hope you're enjoying the book. You might also want to grab a copy of "Go Freelance [PDF Link]" from Freelance Advisor. It's next on my reading list.

03-02-2009, 08:37 PM
kubarium is offline kubarium
Software:

kubarium is on a distinguished road

Old

I totally agree with all of your points and the costs, benefits you mentioned should be covered.

At first, 47 seemed a lot because I'm originally from Turkey and I have been living in Canada since January 2008. We don't have any rate system in any business in Turkey but we have salary. However, the rate in Canada and the salary in Turkey are totally two different things, the numbers are ridiculous. That's because the conditions are different. That leads me to learn new habits to estimate my projects on hourly basis and get used to it.

Closed Thread