Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1360 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     PHP and MySQL :

Moving on to bigger things

Thread title: Moving on to bigger things
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Steven Fergus is offline Steven Fergus
Software:

Steven Fergus is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
Theres alot of competition with PHP as it is very popular.
You've got to put alot of work into making yourself known and keeping your clients happy. Its sometimes hard, but if you think you could manage it, give it a go.
As a Freelancer, I think it would be more beneficial to learn PHP first and then move on to something like c# .NET. Whether this is the best option or not, I'm not too sure, but I'll think I'll give it a shot.

06-29-2007, 03:02 PM
Metal-CX is offline Metal-CX
Software:

Metal-CX is on a distinguished road

Old

Look let's put it like this.
PHP is harder to learn than other languages, for the simple fact that most PHP coders are freelancers, and so are the tutorial writers... So it's very rare to find a good PHP tutorial, and not just some tutorial to attract traffic to a site, you get me?

Deciding you're going to learn programming was a great decision. At least judging by your grammar skills, you seem like an intelligent person, and intelligent people love programming. It'll become part of you once you're inside the club... But it's pretty difficult to get in it.

If you want to make $50 here, $100 there, then learn PHP.
If you want to work as a programmer and earn up to $5,000, $10,000 a month then look into C# and .NET.

Let me guarantee one thing...
It's would be more difficult to move to C# from PHP than vice versa.

That's because of the fact that PHP dismisses variable types and such, and for the fact that it isn't an OOP language by default, but OOP is one of the most important aspects of good programming, and all serious coders out there use it for anything... Not only big projects, which I see a lot of people here tend to say... That's sad, in my opinion. It just states that they don't know much about objects and classes.

C# will teach you everything you need to know and a lot of other cool stuff you may not need to know, but you'll want to know.

And look... I started with PHP... It was pretty difficult, but after a week I got the hang of it and started making little scripts here and there. Basically, I thought I became a PHP guru...

Now I learn C# in college and I'm implementing all of the great stuff there that's so easy to understand into PHP.

But it IS possible to just learn PHP and put a lot of time and effort into it and become good at it.

To sum it all up:
PHP = Small, but more reachable cash.
C# = May not be THAT easy to get a job, but once you get one you're fixed... Unless you try to implement a virus into the corporate system and then you get fired, sued and god knows what else.

06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

A webdesign company in the UK will charge, £2000+ thats $4000+ for a metaphorically speaking web 0.1 design and 'not too bad' cms using php & mysql.

Depending on the programmers speed and knowledge of the language(s), he/she would be able to complete 1 or 2 cms' a month. But it all depends which side of the computer industry you want to go into, web development, or software development.

2 entirely different uses of the languages.

Whom I give the question to: Do you want to sit at a desk in a claustrophobic area and pound on the keys until your blood poors from your ears because your manager is shouting to get the damn software bug fixed, or do you want to be in a clean, eco-friendly place and have a laugh with your team, at the same time building online systems for the clients website?

06-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Steven Fergus is offline Steven Fergus
Software:

Steven Fergus is on a distinguished road

Old

Thank you every one for your replies. They are all very helpful and will help me come to a decision.

Thanks Metal-CX, for taking the time to write all of that information. At the moment, I don't know much about C# and .NET. It's something I will defanatly need to, and will look into. C# and .NET sound very promising, especially after you said: "It's would be more difficult to move to C# from PHP than vice versa".

As for good methods for learning C# and .NET, I'm open to suggestions. I have the summer off College at the moment and I'm willing to learn.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all the helpful information. Feel free to throw some more at me.

07-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Coder is offline Coder
Expertise:
Software:

Coder is on a distinguished road

Old

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3