Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 991 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

What's the Best, Easiest CMS (part 2)

Thread title: What's the Best, Easiest CMS (part 2)
12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
nj1 is offline nj1
Expertise: designer
Software: Notepad

nj1 is on a distinguished road

Old  What's the Best, Easiest CMS (part 2)

I'm starting this post because after writing my message on an older thread it gave me the following error:
"This Thread is more than 517 days old, you can't reply to it."

Some topics are never too old, lol!

Anyway, here's my answer to the question of CMSs

Drupal 7 seems to me to be the easiest and most advanced CMS. I've worked also with Joomla and WP but didn't get the same "good feeling" about them. Of course this was a few years ago and many things have changed, but so has Drupal.

Regarding the question, which one is best.. the best one is the one we spend time learning. Choose one and stick to it. It will become your best CMS only when you know the ins and outs of what makes it tick.

This is my first post in talkfreelance. Love the colors.

12-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Welcome to the forum, nj1.

Drupal is normally regarded as the more powerful one. I have not used Drupal 7 but generally speaking Drupal is regarded as a very hard CMS to use from a development standpoint. Asking whats the best, easiest CMS is a tricky question. More features and more ability always comes with more complication and a higher learning curve. The ease of use also varies with what you want to do with it, what are your intentions with it?

12-19-2011, 08:12 PM
nj1 is offline nj1
Expertise: designer
Software: Notepad

nj1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Thank you for your welcome note and for your response.
I was actually answering a question on an older topic that has been closed. I thought I left a link but anyway, yes, I agree with you, the first question is to ask what are we going to do with it. Different tools for different purposes and also for different folks.

I believe that when it comes to Joomla and Drupal and also WP, it is a personal choice. My point was to concentrate on one and stick to it until we are really good at it. I did try Drupal about 4 years ago, then gave WP a try and finally I took a course in Joomla. In the end, I went back to Drupal (the new version) and I've been building sites with it. Prior to that I was coding everything from scratch which, with few exceptions, doesn't make sense anymore.

In the next few months I intend to revisit Word Press because I believe WP has its niche applications. As for Joomla, I find it to be a rival of Drupal and I have chosen Drupal because I feel more comfortable with it. No need to spend time learning both, it is best to become really good at one of these two choices.

It's my personal experience. Someone else might have a different point of view.
By the way, I don't think Drupal is hard at all, specially the latest version (7). Of course like anything else, a basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript and a bit of PHP go a long way regardless of which CMS we choose.

Thank you