Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 772 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

Wordpress Coders: Widget-ready?

Thread title: Wordpress Coders: Widget-ready?
View Poll Results: When coding Wordpress skins, are your sidebars widget-ready?
Yes 12 70.59%
No 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
07-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

The words "Smoking" and "Crack" come to mind. But that's not surprising from someone who suggest compromising code quality to accommodate.

Anyway, you've never coded a serious wordpress site if you think widgets will work anywhere.

07-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

I will further Blue Ires suspicions of 'Smoking' 'crack', as you cannot seem to spell widgets. They are completely different to widgits.

07-07-2007, 12:37 AM
Vizon is offline Vizon - Click for my Image
Expertise:
Software:

Vizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Blue Ire View Post
The words "Smoking" and "Crack" come to mind. But that's not surprising from someone who suggest compromising code quality to accommodate.

Anyway, you've never coded a serious wordpress site if you think widgets will work anywhere.
Immersion?

07-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

You missed the point. The guy I was replying to spelled widget wrong, that's what Immersion was talking about.

07-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Shanks is offline Shanks
Software:

Shanks is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Immersion View Post
I will further Blue Ires suspicions of 'Smoking' 'crack', as you cannot seem to spell widgets. They are completely different to widgits.
Was that last misspelling done on purpose?

07-07-2007, 01:26 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Neither of those are misspellings! It is spelled WIDGET. Geez, people, pay attention!

07-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Steven Fergus is offline Steven Fergus
Software:

Steven Fergus is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm fairly new to WordPress coding and I can't say I've ever used "nested lists". I don't really see the need in them, but then, that's probably because I'm missing something?

What purpose do they serve?

07-07-2007, 01:53 AM
cbeley is offline cbeley
Expertise:
Software:

cbeley is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to cbeley Send a message via MSN to cbeley

Old

Originally Posted by Blue Ire View Post

Code quality? Where did you get the idea that I would sacrifice code quality. When I met compromising, I met compromising the design slightly in order to have a layout that is easier to change by the end user. Please do not get my wrong, I'm all for standards. Also, sorry for my misspelling of widget (I think).

Also, I never said widgets would work anywhere. However, you can use a combination of widgets and static dynamic content (When I refer to static, I'm refering to non-customizable dynamicly generated code....hopefully someone will get what I mean :S). The whole point of wordpress, in my opinion, and all other dynamic software is to keep things dynamic and modifiable by the user, without having programing knowledge. Also, you speak of "serious wordpress" themes. Frankly, if you are to the point where you can't use wigets at all, you should probably be looking into different software. Applications such as Drupal or CMS Made Simple would be much better choices than wordpress for more complex sites. I think it's silly to be using wordpress as a full-fledged CMS.

Finally, we really don't need people ranting over misspellings of a made up word :S

EDIT: .....I applogise. Wiget is a word, wigit is not. Because of a certain someone's post (sorry, really I just forgot your name), I thought I was spelling wiget wrong, and I thought it was suppose to be wigit.

EDIT3: Concerning Lists.
If, by code quality, you were referring to having your side bars be lists instead of lots of nice divs....I have to tell you that the person using divs instead of lists for the sidebar is technically the one who is sacrificing code quality. Using divs for the sidebar like some people do is not very good code. Also, you can change the way the sidebars are generated quite easily within your template (so if you did want to use divs instead of lists, you could....but you really shouldn't.).

Steven Fergus: The main reason behind using lists is because it keeps your code semantic. Screen readers will understand it better and you'll have that warm fuzy feeling in your heart because you wrote semantic and helped further "the cause". It can also help your markup make more sense.

If you still believe the words "smoking" and "crack" still pertain to me, please elaborate. Wordpress is not the ideal solution for all projects. ;-) Also, i'd appreciate some projects where you couldn't use wigets in any way to help the theme be more customizable. Special side bar items are no excuse with PHP wigets and the ability to simply make your own wigets. Also, multiple sidebars are no excuse, with the ability to have as many sidebars as you want, within reason. Also, projects that would be better suited for software such as Drupal, don't count either.

07-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

First off, until recently, Widgets (You still aren't spelling it correctly) were only recently introduced as more than aplugin to wordpress, therefore your argument that 'if you can't use widgets you should change CMS' is moot.

Beyond that, you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about. I can make this point no better than by showing a bit of the code from your main page...

Code:
 <div id="mainbox">
 <div id="topborder"></div>
 <div id="header">
 <div id="logo"></div>
 <div id="headerpic"></div>
 <div id="links">
Are you kidding me? The first six lines of your code contain 6 divs... ouch. And then after that you have a nav that isn't even a list, just a bunch of links in a div... speaking of accessibility.
Code:
<div id="links">
 <a href="index.html" title="Home" class="nav">Home</a>

<a href="complete_websites.html" title="Complete Websites" class="nav">Complete Websites</a>
 <a href="services.html" title="Services" class="nav">Services</a>
 <a href="quote.html" title="Request a Quote" class="nav">Request a Quote</a>
 <a href="portfolio.html" title="Portfolio" class="nav">Portfolio</a>
 <a href="faq.html" title="FAQ" class="nav">FAQ</a>
 <a href="hayward.html" title="Hayward Residents Info." class="nav" id="navright" >Hayward Residents Info.</a>

</div>

07-07-2007, 03:17 AM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old

Code:
<table>
 <tr>
   <td>Oh snap I can't put a 'validation web 2.0' 
button on my site anymore!</td>