Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 871 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

[WINNERS ANNOUNCED] $300 competition: "The Marketplace Pitch".

Thread title: [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] $300 competition: "The Marketplace Pitch".
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
06-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old  [WINNERS ANNOUNCED] $300 competition: "The Marketplace Pitch".

Do you think you know what a modern web-based marketplace of all things digital should function and look like? Let us know for a chance to win $250 (1st place) in cash prize money ($50 for runner-up) and an opportunity to get directly involved in developing it!

Rebuilding the TalkFreelance.com marketplace has been one of the overall objectives, and my personal motivator, for this resource to transition into the new reality of how web professionals conduct business on the Internet. That is why we want to build a brand new application, independent to existing forum software, which was never meant to be an app for business transactions in the first place.

People expect simplicity, flexibility, access to information and tools to allow them to sell products/services more efficiently and to make better buying decision. A forum structure is not able to address and properly scale to meet the needs of designers, coders and web entrepreneurs, so we need to create an environment for you that will be pleasing to use and easy to benefit from.

The requirement: Functional Specification

We want the big idea as much as the specifics of how it will function and what it would look like. In other words, we want you to present a functional specification document, which details what the finished product will do, how a user will interact with it, and what it will look like.

If you have that perfect vision in your head for what a web-based marketplace should be (for anything from designs and other services to domains and websites), present it to us in whatever format that works for you (Word, PDF, a slide show, an online tour, etc), as long as it profiles the application well. Here is an easy to follow guide to what a functional specification document consists of and how to write it. While we do not ask for a very detailed document, we expect to receive a clear description of the functionality of the marketplace, as well as website wireframes, sketches and other visuals that you think are necessary to include with your pitch.

Submissions are to be made directly to me via email: artashes *at* gmail.com (please mention your forum username and your contact information in the email so that I can associate you appropriately).

Last day of submission: August 10.

Thanked by 2 users:
06-05-2011, 10:05 AM
imchewee is offline imchewee
Software:

imchewee is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm not exactly a designer, but I'd like to think of myself as being creative. Defiantly going to give this one a bash.

Thanked by 2 users:
Artashes (06-05-2011)
06-28-2011, 10:59 PM

Old

Update: I have received a couple of great pitches and I know of at least a couple that are still coming in, so I am going to extend the deadline till July 15 to give time for those who just started to work on their ideas.

Thanked by:
06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
imchewee is offline imchewee
Software:

imchewee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
Update: I have received a couple of great pitches and I know of at least a couple that are still coming in, so I am going to extend the deadline till July 15 to give time for those who just started to work on their ideas.
Fantastic, I lost everything on my old laptop so had to start this from scratch.

Thanked by 2 users:
Artashes (06-30-2011)
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Julian G is offline Julian G
Expertise:
Software:

Julian G is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Julian G Send a message via MSN to Julian G

Old

I may do this

Thanked by 2 users:
Artashes (07-03-2011)
07-01-2011, 07:30 PM
PileDriver is offline PileDriver
Expertise: Programming, writing.
Software: Notepad, and VIM

PileDriver is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to PileDriver Send a message via MSN to PileDriver Send a message via Skype™ to PileDriver

Old

If it were up to me, I wouldn't disconnect the marketplace from the forum at all. Because I am not confident in my own abilities, I will offer some suggestions instead. I don't know much about vbulletin, but I know with PHPbb I was able to make mods. The marketplace should be an active part of the forum, but not in the regular sense of "make a topic, read responses, reply, etc." The marketplace forum should instead be separated into different categories of work (such as web development, software devlopment, etc), much like it is now. But the difference should be the form for submitting. Instead of the regular vbulletin topic form, it should be a "request freelancer" form, or "freelancer for hire" form. The form for requesting a freelancer should have a text area that describes what work the freelancer would be doing, another with the pay and way of payment, another with the area or amount of expertise that the requester is looking for in a freelancer, along with any comments or concerns. Requests can be opened or closed by the author, or moderator. An application form should be included in the request (or topic, for lack of better word), that includes an area to send a portfolio and any other important factor needed to look impressive. The idea behind having it still connected to vbulletin is for freelancers to gain some sort of notoriety, or reputation. A requester can select any number of applications, and be able to submit testimonials about the freelancer hired after work is completed. I haven't been here long enough to know what "iTrader" is, but I'm sure it's similar to what I am describing. With testimonials and reputation, freelancers here have a much larger potential for becoming well-known or respected. It will also allow them to build a sort of public portfolio that they can link to on other sites, bringing more traffic to yours.

Just a thought.

Thanked by:
Artashes (07-03-2011)
07-04-2011, 02:10 PM
astereo is offline astereo
Expertise: design,development, & WP
Software: Photoshop, Illustrator, WP

astereo is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to astereo Send a message via Skype™ to astereo

Old

I'll be writing something up sometime this week

Thanked by:
Artashes (07-05-2011)
07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

Sounds great! I'm giving this a try too!

Thanked by:
Artashes (07-05-2011)
07-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Old

Great, thanks for all the response! Looking forward to your official proposals/ideas.

07-13-2011, 03:00 AM

Old

My God, people, you are making my life too complicated! I've received a couple more interesting proposals, and a couple of more people asking for a few days extension as they have just come across this contest.

So, I am making my final extension to a deadline: July 30. As much as I love hearing your ideas and pitches forever, I think 2 months is more than enough time to spend collecting them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >