Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1064 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Forum software suggestion...

Thread title: Forum software suggestion...
09-16-2012, 03:58 PM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

vVv is on a distinguished road

Old  Forum software suggestion...

Given the track record of vBulletin, and it's over-bloated software these days, I was thinking maybe a new software to power the site would be beneficial? Talkfreelance could maybe be better off powered by "XenForo" instead of vBulletin.

vBulletin 4.x is so bulky, bloated, slow, and not resource friendly at all. And I noticed they put but vBulletin version 5 Beta up for demo as well, which is even worse than vBulletin 4.x. Despite the lawsuit thrown at the previous vBulletin 3 developers (the ones that started own project XenForo) by I.B., vB3 was the better version of vBulletin all along, and with them making XenForo, it's just a good quality and simpler software in general and is speedy as well. Not to mention, easy to work around and with regarding coding and customizing.

Just a thought or suggestion. What do you think?

http://xenforo.com/
http://xenforo.com/community/

Thanked by:
Artashes (09-26-2012)
09-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

XenForo doesn't have a very large 3rd party market. It doesn't have iTrader or a number of other addons we use. I don't really see any advantage to switching, especially when considering all the trouble we'd have moving everything over.

Thanked by:
Artashes (09-26-2012)
09-16-2012, 04:21 PM
vVv is offline vVv
Software:

vVv is on a distinguished road

Old

Oh okay, well they do have alot of "plugins" or "add-ons" though.. And a trading system... http://extralicense.com/trade/

I know it might not be "iTrader" though, but it is a nice system none the less.. and they have an import system to import important / necessary things like posts, threads, users, and etc.. for vB3, vB4 and other systems. But if it's too much trouble, then okay..

03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
invigo is offline invigo
Software:

invigo is on a distinguished road

Old

Not that I'd expect RW to abandon Jive any time soon... but eventually, when Jive is feeling too stale and old and brittle, I'd suggest that RW look into the forum software running Stack Exchange sites.

For example: Ubuntu has a very similar support model, with a forum full of helpful people and a system to get questions answered. Using Stack Exchange users are rewarded when they ask good questions, or when they provide good answers. Users are slightly penalized when the ask poor questions or provide poor answers. Voting someone's answer down even penalizes the user who voted, which reduces overuse of the voting functions.