Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1570 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Talkfreelance Upgrades

Thread title: Talkfreelance Upgrades
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
12-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old  Talkfreelance Upgrades

As you may have noticed, Talkfreelance recently had some downtime. This downtime was for some major software upgrades that are now complete. Along with software changes, some modifications to the rules have also taken place to stay current with all features.

The first and foremost upgrade is the vBulletin software. We have upgraded form the much older 3.6.8 to the newest stable version (3.8.4). This introduces many features that previously were not available such as image galleries and social groups. The only feature that we have turned off is thread tagging; we are open to turning it on if people want it. For a complete listing of changes for 3.7 and 3.8, go to http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...3-7-First-Look! and http://www.vbulletinsetup.com/vbulle...ased-download/

We have also added a new addon to the forum. We decided that the Post Thanks Hack would be a worthwhile modification. Basically, when you see a post that has helped you, you can click the “thanks” button instead of posting a small message.

There have also been some changes regarding styles. We have upgraded the Talkfreelance default skin to the new version, but are still waiting for the blue/green version to be completed. We will add the variants to the talkfreelance style as soon as possible. We have also added a mobile skin to allow for easy browsing from iPhones and other cell phones.

Finally, some new rules are in place to govern the new features we have:

Image Gallery: All images put in the image gallery must follow the same rules as posting the image in a thread. Forbidden content includes (but is not limited to) sexual content, blatant advertising and obscenities.
Penalty: Same as posting in thread.

Social groups: As the name might imply, are social tools and not advertising methods. Groups that are made clearly to promote your business are not allowed.
Penalty: 3 points.

Public messaging: All public messages must follow Talkfreelance’s forum guidelines for posting in threads. Along with this, accusations of scamming (this includes “you are late, where is my design”) and transaction reviews are absolutely forbidden. We have a trader rating system and this is not a replacement for it.
Penalty: Same as posting in thread, 3 if scamming accusation.

We would also like to take time to emphasize the iTrader rating system. Since we do not allow critique of sellers in the marketplace, this is where you can leave your review for everyone to see. This works almost identically to eBay where you can leave a positive or negative review about the seller (or buyer). We have noticed that many people have complained about their transactions without leaving one of these, this is your recommendation or warning that will stick with the user wherever they go. iTrader ratings can be found on the user’s profile and on the left of their posts right under their post count. Clicking on the number under their post count will take you to a page that displays all their ratings. You can add a rating on that page.

We are still open to suggestions for additions to the forum software. You can post what you think would be a good addition here.

Thanked by 9 users:
Gaz (12-24-2009), Jordan (12-24-2009), KewL (12-30-2009), nomatch (12-24-2009), Salathe (12-24-2009), Sam Asante (12-24-2009), Seb (12-24-2009), spencerp (12-25-2009), willb (12-24-2009)
12-24-2009, 02:04 AM
spencerp is offline spencerp
Expertise:
Software:

spencerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Awesome! Thank you so much for the upgrades and improvements here! (Now, to remember more rules... LOL!)

12-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Lee_ is offline Lee_
Expertise:
Software:

Lee_ is on a distinguished road

Old

Good job guys.

Glad to see Santa and Rudi are still here aswell.

12-24-2009, 08:18 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Well played. Will you be adding something like vbSEO?

12-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Well played. Will you be adding something like vbSEO?
Theres a lot more to it than it may seem, since it changes the URLs it could ruin a lot of SEO. We are currently getting informed so we can make a good decision on the matter.

Originally Posted by Zivem View Post
Good job.
Thanks.

12-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
Theres a lot more to it than it may seem, since it changes the URLs it could ruin a lot of SEO. We are currently getting informed so we can make a good decision on the matter.
I totally understand the complications of installing it on a pre-existing forum, I've had the dilemma several times myself.

If you're prepared for a short loss in traffic, it is more often then not warrented with better organic traffic in the future, from my experience.

I'm all thumbs up to the idea.

12-24-2009, 07:34 PM

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I totally understand the complications of installing it on a pre-existing forum, I've had the dilemma several times myself.

If you're prepared for a short loss in traffic, it is more often then not warrented with better organic traffic in the future, from my experience.

I'm all thumbs up to the idea.
Thanks for the advice.

12-24-2009, 10:00 AM
spencerp is offline spencerp
Expertise:
Software:

spencerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

People, please re-upload your avatars!! It bugs me that they're broken! I know VG wants to solve the issue, but I doubt it will be... so just re-upload them.

12-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Zivem is offline Zivem
Software:

Zivem is on a distinguished road

Old

Good job.

12-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Aaron Moody is offline Aaron Moody
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

Aaron Moody is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Aaron Moody

Old

Would I be right in assuming the old TF skin is unusable, since didn't get upgraded to the new VB ? or am I just missing the obvious.

Nice to see TF getting some upgrades though

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >