Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1063 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

Recommendations to make money on my blog?

Thread title: Recommendations to make money on my blog?
01-10-2012, 08:28 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Recommendations to make money on my blog?

Hey everyone as you know I run undergroundhiphop.me . I'm looking for a good way to make money with advertising.

The past 8 months the site has just been sitting with google ads and no new posts. Now I'm revaping it and am going to start posting again. I found my "nich" (i guess you would call it) and I think I'll be able to get 10x more traffic in the next 6 months. All the current traffic is 99% organic from google.

Any suggestions for advertising? Google adsense kind of sucks, and buy sell ads too web design/development oriented.

Suggestions?

01-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Damn it, I wrote a long reply and closed the window before hitting submit. I'll try again, keeping it more brief this time and to the point.

You would never make money with any third party advertising networks. What I suggest you do is sell advertising through direct marketing.

Visit the websites of your competitors and make a list of companies that are currently advertising on these sites. Chances are they are on an active spending spree and looking to spend the allocated advertising budget effectively. Once you have the list ready, approach each of those companies on an one-on-one basis by introducing yourself, your website and by offering a long-term one-shot package at an attractive price that makes sense to you and will be appealing to them as well. Keep those emails personal, show knowledge about their product/service. Treat it as if you were applying for a job and had to submit a cover letter with your resume.

I followed this strategy with one of my websites and my conversion rate was 1 out of 7 emails sent (on average).

01-17-2012, 03:50 AM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Hey Artashes, I read your reply as soon as you posted it, I haven't got around to replying though, soo....

Thanks for the great suggestion, I am definitely going to follow your guide once I get more traffic. Any suggestions on how much traffic I should be getting before looking for advertisers?

01-17-2012, 06:19 AM
1901gt is offline 1901gt
Expertise: Web Design, XHTML/CSS
Software: Photoshop, Illustrator

1901gt is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Like what Artashes said, look for advertisers directly instead of relying on adsense. My football forum normally earns around $10-$15 a month via Adsense. But direct marketing helps to maximise the site's potential to around $300 every month. And sometimes, I got lucky with a $4,000 advertising campaign from a renowned sports brand. Wish it could happen every month though.

01-17-2012, 01:13 PM
HenrySWolfe is offline HenrySWolfe
Software:

HenrySWolfe is on a distinguished road

Old

I tried to grab few of alternative networks to Google Adsense are...

1. Clicksor
2. Adbrite:
3. Bidvertiser
4. Chitika:
5. Text Link Ads

01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
konstrix is offline konstrix
Expertise: programming, developing
Software:

konstrix is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm pretty sure, that you could make money off your blog with a good mixture of direct marketed premium ads and some network ads. In your niche I'd talk to big players of related industries (e.g. clothing, bling bling) if they would like to advertise on your site. Combining the "song of the day" with Amazon-Referals and other little stuff would complement nicely.

01-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by KewL View Post
Any suggestions on how much traffic I should be getting before looking for advertisers?
That is up for you to decide. Do you think marketing a site with 1,000 visitors a month would be meaningful or important enough to those you approach? I'd say stick to third party networks until you grow the traffic to the respectable level that creates and defines an audience. Get to a large number that in your best opinion might catch the attention of a client. Is it 5,000 visitors per month? is it 10,000?

01-24-2012, 06:52 AM
cs_obd is offline cs_obd
Expertise:
Software:

cs_obd is on a distinguished road

Old

Good information here. Thanks for all the suggestions.