Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1856 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

The contest began 6 months ago and you're still waiting it out

Thread title: The contest began 6 months ago and you're still waiting it out
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 >
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  The contest began 6 months ago and you're still waiting it out

I'm baffled why you're pouring resources into a logo. It's trivial and pointless. You're not going to start bulletin boards down San Francisco. You're not Coca-Cola. Websites do not need logos. This is not 1999. Adapt.

I believe the majority on day 1 agreed on audy's. You're never going to please 100% of the community. People have different tastes.

"premature optimization is the root of all evil" ~Donald Knuth.

This is what you're doing. You spending way too much time optimizing when it's not ready to be optimized. A new theme will not fix it. Plugins will not fix it. The only way to fix 'it' is to roll your sleeves up and get dirty. Create content and be the change. Be the type of user you want TF to attract, because don't expect anyone else to. Be the change.

TF is behind every other online community I frequent. Reddit, HN and SE amongst others. I told you before, vBulletin is a dated forum structure and it offers a very crappy platform for discussion. Posts are ordered by date rather than quality. Which makes for very poor conversation. Nobody cares about a paid-to-post plugin, if anything it's insulting that you believe this would incentivise us.

Stop the freaking censorship already. Stop censoring posts because you disagree or they appear to be out of topic. Seriously now. Your moderation practices are that of the stone age. It leaves a very sour taste. **** **** bollocks ... stop trying to play internet police. Stop telling me what words I can consume. Stone age.

06-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Trustworthy is offline Trustworthy
Software:

Trustworthy is on a distinguished road

Old

This forum is dead

06-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Is there another platform you'd suggest we use?

06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Old

I would go with a HN clone. Plenty on github.

We don't need all the bloated functionality of a vBulletin. I cannot stress enough how dated that forum software is.

06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
.Nick is offline .Nick
Software:

.Nick is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Trustworthy View Post
This forum is dead
Weren't you leaving?

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
TF is behind every other online community I frequent. Reddit, HN and SE amongst others. I told you before, vBulletin is a dated forum structure and it offers a very crappy platform for discussion. Posts are ordered by date rather than quality. Which makes for very poor conversation. Nobody cares about a paid-to-post plugin, if anything it's insulting that you believe this would incentivise us.
It's similar to the achievement systems found in games which are actually fairly popular.

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/200...right-now.html

06-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Old

It's coined Gamification. Not a fan be honest but I understand why it works in most cases.

06-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Stop the freaking censorship already. Stop censoring posts because you disagree or they appear to be out of topic. Seriously now. Your moderation practices are that of the stone age. It leaves a very sour taste. **** **** bollocks ... stop trying to play internet police. Stop telling me what words I can consume. Stone age.

When have we ever censored you?

Censorship of words is necessary for members who cannot communicate without cursing.

Dan, I don't know what HN is. Care to explain in more detail how you see TF function with forum, blog, marketplace and other apps as part of the community? How do you migrate existing membership and content/data into the new platform?

06-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Lucas is offline Lucas
Software:

Lucas is on a distinguished road

Old

Go for XenForo I know you're all aware of the lawsuit probably but there has been a trial date announced so it's finally coming to an end... XenForo is the future now IMO. I know I sound like a fanboy.

06-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Old

When have we ever censored you?
Posts are removed all the time.

Dan, I don't know what HN is. Care to explain in more detail how you see TF function with forum, blog, marketplace and other apps as part of the community? How do you migrate existing membership and content/data into the new platform?
http://news.ycombinator.com/

06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Go for XenForo I know you're all aware of the lawsuit probably but there has been a trial date announced so it's finally coming to an end... XenForo is the future now IMO. I know I sound like a fanboy.
Thank you, Lucas. Oh yes, I am aware of the lawsuit. I have been watching the development of XenForo since their inception, I like the team behind it. Apart from that I'd like to see how the lawsuit ends first, to be honest I don't see much of a difference between XF and VB. In fact, the new theme resembles XenForo a lot - forumdisplay and threaddisplay pages especially.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4523505&type=1
The development community of vBulletin is also what is attractive about the software.

Posts are removed all the time.
This is a weak argument, Dan. All communities/forums remove posts that break their rules.

Looks like a typical Reddit/Digg like site with people ranking up the links/stories. This concept has been around the web forever and it has its own set of problems (those that spam these sites by ranking up certain material up). I can potentially see how it could be interesting for the discussions part of the community. However, you have not address the issues of data/membership migration and integration of other services like the marketplace, blog and other apps that we might bring forward.

Are there any scripts that would actually tie this concept into an actual community with ability to edit posts, quote on replies, attach items, etc - forum-style? Developing a custom application for this purpose, thus reinventing the wheel is out of the question.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 >