Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 756 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Domain backordering plan!

Thread title: Domain backordering plan!
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
01-14-2005, 07:13 AM
Stephen is offline Stephen
Expertise:
Software:

Stephen is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via MSN to Stephen

Old  Domain backordering plan!

Well I have been thinking about this for a while and I think it will work if you have the time and money so I decided I might go for it. I want to create a website like pool.com which will keep checking a domain and when its expired it will instantly register the domain using directi.com
I do have lots more features I would be having to make mine much better than pool.com but whats the average price I would expect to pay for somthing like this to be made for me. Also how would I handle the payments, would I use worldpay to take the payment of them when the name gets registered

01-14-2005, 09:08 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Pool.com is hard to beat. I'm not sure how you can backorder and register a domain faster or quicker than pool does.

To create a script/website better than pool.com would probably be in the range of around $10k-$15k.

Security would have to be incredible, payment processing would need to done via a proper merchant account which can set you back $500-1,000. This would need to be done through your own bank.

Pool.com uses a very advanced system that your average programmer would probably take a while to implement, time equals money in this game. They also have so many additional features, a complete auction system etc.

On top of all of the backend work you will need a great design and the coding of every page, i would imagine at least 10+...that alone would be around the $1,000 mark.

It's a incredible project, too large for me to even think about tackling and even if you did spend that amount getting it developed, you would need several thousand to market it substantialy. I don't think you could do this on your own and i don't think you have the funds to compete with the big boys.

01-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I found somone who says they can do it for an ok price, even if no one used it I would
I have said I will not pay the full amount untill I see it catch a domain before pool.com
Mine will have a really advanced search feature, which will list stuff like 1 word domains or names etc.. Also when browsing the domain deletion list I hope to have mine display the google page rank and alexa rating at the side of each domain. Each person would have accounts they need to top up before they can make a backorder if they don't win any backorders they can withdraw the money from there accounts.

01-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I think I have a really good idea now, people can pay per month for domain backordering or I can offer it for free for a while because I could make my system work using registrars API meaning when people signup they enter there account details and my system orders the domain out of their registrar account providing they have enough funds in there...Could evolve that even better I think.

01-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I'm not denying....idea is good. However, pool.com is a huge company and there system is very high-tech and it would take alot to beat it.

Aside from having a better system....it's the costs of advertising and letting everyone know about your service. It's a project that would need a large amount of financial backing and imo it's a very big risk.

01-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Not really much of a risk, $3000 is hardly a risk. I have agreed to pay most when I see it working and it beats pool.com so thats ok. But pool.com must be hightech I know but you never know he might code it and it will work good

01-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Not really much of a risk, $3000 is hardly a risk
You're 16 and £1500 isn't alot of money to just throw away?

01-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Not really I make money fast when I need it!

01-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Good luck then! Keep us informed with the project

01-15-2005, 07:04 PM
FiveInteractive is offline FiveInteractive
Expertise:
Software:

FiveInteractive is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to FiveInteractive Send a message via MSN to FiveInteractive

Old

Im 16 in a month, and £50 is actually quite a lot for me.. lol..
The most i ever put into the internet at a time is $10 for a domain.. so your a pretty rich guy :P

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >