Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1209 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Legal Question About Website

Thread title: Legal Question About Website
Closed Thread    
06-26-2005, 02:24 AM
170Designs is offline 170Designs
Software:

170Designs is on a distinguished road

Old  Legal Question About Website

Hey guys, I am thinking of starting a new website and need some assistance and suggestions on whether it is legal in the United States or not. Here is how it will work:

The website is called Win50.com and it will be a message board (the actual content of the message board is undecided). However the "Win50" part comes in because if a user posts at least 50 messages a week consistently throughout a whole month (or something along these lines), then he has the chance to win $50. Now I need some assistance in deciding how I can make it legal and not violate lottery/gambling laws, in terms of how the user has a "chance to win $50" and is not guaranteed to win that money but only does so if he/she is selected or something. I need suggestions on how to reward someone (with money or a gift certificate or something related to "50")LEGALLY if they post more than 50 posts a month.

Thanks and all feedback is appreciated,
Matt

06-26-2005, 02:33 AM
BurninDragon08 is offline BurninDragon08
Expertise:
Software:

BurninDragon08 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BurninDragon08 Send a message via MSN to BurninDragon08 Send a message via Yahoo to BurninDragon08

Old

I dont know if it is or not but... I dont think it is because they have to post 50 and its not gonna be likely to win? Sorry I just dont think thats legal.

06-26-2005, 02:54 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

It's totally legal. It would only break gambling laws if the user was placing a stake/wager on something and the prize was being decided by some sort of random draw. In this case the user isn't placing any stake/wager and so it's not illegal.

Closed Thread