Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 853 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Freelance Web design Quote?

Thread title: Freelance Web design Quote?
08-06-2011, 12:48 AM
angelleeca is offline angelleeca
Software:

angelleeca is on a distinguished road

Old  Freelance Web design Quote?

Ok, so I have this BIG project coming up (as soon as I have a quote/estimate)

It is for a non-profit organization, and they need me to do EVERYTHING! Build the site, design the layout, come up with the colors, RUN the website. EVERYTHING. They have no pictures, not idea on anything. As it was put "its my baby". They don't even have a logo (I’ll need to create) They want it 'high fashion' of websites. They also want a place to let people donate. I've determined it's going to be at least 10 to 15 pages.
It's almost overwhelming thinking of it all right now.

They don't have a domain name, url, host space. NOTHING.

What should I charge them?

I haven't done something so large before and I really have no idea.

08-06-2011, 09:36 AM
dlopez916 is offline dlopez916
Expertise: CSS, HTML, Flash, Photoshop
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Frefox

dlopez916 is on a distinguished road

Old

I would suggest starting with the domain and hosting. Figure a fair price, and possibly include some options for them to choose from with different features. Once that is established you can move forward with design, layout, etc. I find it is near impossible to create a site from scratch for an organization that doesn't contribute ANYTHING. You may want to work on getting them to help with something simple such as colors, and providing pictures. You could ask them to seek out a few sites that they like, so you have some idea of what style or layout is catchy to their eye... Good luck!

08-06-2011, 09:23 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

Ok, so, starting from scratch. I'm going to break it down how I would proceed and hope that it will help.

1. Write up a contract or agreement on the duties you'll be performing, the price, what they need to provide, etc. Always, always, protect yourself. See #3 for more information.

2. Research the domains, registrars and hosting companies and compose a list of your recommendations for them to review. I always have the client handle the registration and hosting payments. Unless they're hosting on my accounts, they should be responsible for this so they have the necessary information for future reference.

3. Have them fill out a website brief that gives you the specifications for the project. Things to include in the brief: budget, goals of the site as it pertains to the users, how the site can enhance day-to-day operations within the organization, sites they like (have them list specifics), how the site will be updated once completed, do they want the site integrated into a content management system?, accurate timetables for project completion (include approval process, testing phase, etc.), who will be providing content?, how the site will be measured for success, how the new site will be promoted, and what your responsibilities will be (be very, very clear).

4.Once you have a full understanding of the project scope, you can start working on the number of hours the project will take to complete. You should be able to figure out about how long certain tasks take to complete. From there, break down the project into tasks and then start calculating. You're pricing/rate will be determined by the ## of hours X rate. Be generous. I always overestimate my time and include unexpected delays. At the end, customers are happy to see that the actual time was less which makes the bill lower than they expect. This makes for a happy client.

5. If you are lacking in certain skills, don't be afraid to seek out professionals that can handle those aspects of the project. It's always good to develop relationships with folks whose skills complement yours. Keep in mind that good help is hard to find, so be diligent when you search.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanked by:
Artashes (08-07-2011)
08-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Angelleeca

I agree with what Chaka42 has said, except if you've never done this before, you may need to do follow a different order.

Don't do the contract first. While it does make sense to start drafting a contract at the start--if you don't have a template you use--you need to figure out some basic information (duties, pricing, time, etc) first.

Start by asking the client about 1) their goals for the site
What specifically do they want the site to do, to do for the organization, and in what kind of a time frame? Do they want a website that showcases their services so that donations jump 50% in the subsequent calendar year? Or a website that showcases their services so that the people who use their services can find information more quickly? Or both? Or something else?
and 2) their budget.
Whatever they're thinking: $80, $8000, $800000, you need to know up front. You don't need to commit yourself to their number, but you're always in the stronger (and more professional-seeming) position if you raise the money questions. If they're seriously under-estimating you want to know asap, so you can decide whether to continue. If they're really thinking super-premium site with funding to back it, you want to know that before you start thinking of ways to cut corners.
Make a list of tasks and duties. I frequently recommend making a work-flow or work-process list. Open the list with "The Client Contacts You." What happens next? And after that? And after that? Carry the list all the way down to "Final Payment Check Clears the Bank" and "I write thank you notes and post testimonials for everyone who helped me."
This list should help you develop a better sense of both time and costs, as well as remind you of all the little things you could be forgetting in your eagerness to say yes to the job. Also, don't be surprised if there are steps you can't describe completely, or well, at this stage. At this point, don't worry about time, money or supplies. Just the list.

Occasionally, I ask my clients to draw up a similar list. This request can be instructive for long or particularly complicated projects. It will give you a sense of how well the client understands the process and what their priorities are. Sometimes a client's main concern is something you know as trivial--figure this out early and you save yourself no end of grief. It may also give you a sense of how involved the client--or board members--plan to be.
Take this list and identify
  1. what you know how to do well
  2. what you are familiar with but not especially expert ( you'll want either backup or perhaps to farm out these tasks)
  3. what you *don't* know how to do.
There is a saying in business that you shouldn't do something you've never done before for a client you've never worked with before. I've found over the years that, frustrating as it can be it's a good rule. At the very least you should figure out a way to find competent and compatible assistance for at least half of the things you can't or don't know how to do. This goes for the business management side of a large project as well as the "real" work involved.
Research costs. What will you have to purchase? Consider the skills you'll have to purchase by subcontracting as well as any equipment, materials and expenses. Don't forget to pay attention to how much time you spend developing your estimate--a client of mine told me yesterday that she was handed an enormous rush job for which she expects to spend 40 hours on research before they even get to the contract. You need to think about how you'll cover this time because until you have a signed contract your client is under no obligation to pay you.

Figure out how long the project will take you. Don't forget to ask if the the client has a deadline, too.

Figure out an estimated cost, based on the time or timing, your rate and those of anyone you will hire to help you, materials and expenses, overhead and profit (which should be built into your rate, but you should also add to anything you purchase on behalf of the client).

Double your estimate.

Return to your contract outline, or start one. Don't forget to consider--and include where relevant--such things as milestones for approval or payment, liability issues, testing, public acknowledgement of your role in creating the site, what happens if you disagree, who pays the subcontractors, etc etc. There are several forums here about writing and reading contracts. And there is nothing at all like having a lawyer who knows contract law for your state or region look over the contract before you submit it.

One last thing before you submit the contract or continue discussions: decide what is negotiable. Maybe nothing will be and if the contract isn't accepted as presented you'll want to walk away from the project. Maybe you'd be willing to offer a discount on labor if asked. Maybe you'd be willing to provide some free service after the site is up and running. With some nfp organizations, I offer to donate back a portion (unspecified) of my fee after the project is complete and I'm paid (the actual amount depends on how easy they are to work with). The client may simply accept your estimates and contract, but going into any discussion with an idea of where you're willing to adjust and where you aren't may make your negotiations less tense.

Good luck

Thanked by:
Artashes (08-07-2011)
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
YourBrandMarketing is offline YourBrandMarketing
Expertise: Business Development
Software: Photoshop, Firefox, Office

YourBrandMarketing is on a distinguished road

Old

As everyone has said, and I simply skimmed the replies, you need to have a better understanding of what they need.

Do they need custom scripts?
Do they need a Content management system(cms)?
Are they having you update it monthly?
ETC

There will be a cost to develop and design the website, as-well-as a cost for monthly retainer to have work done. Make sure this contract gets viewed over by a lawyer as what you described will be an expensive job.