Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1542 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Rebranding My Hosting Company [Need Help] - Changing Domain Names

Thread title: Rebranding My Hosting Company [Need Help] - Changing Domain Names
Closed Thread    
06-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Gareth is offline Gareth
Software:

Gareth is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gareth

Old  Rebranding My Hosting Company [Need Help] - Changing Domain Names

Hello,

When I chose my domain for my hosting company I didn't really have the experience that I now have with domains and made quite a poor choice. I have now acquired a nice 5 letter brandable .com that I would like to change to.

There are a few things I am unsure of though, so I'm looking for a bit of guidance/advice.

I'd like to know how to deal with the following issues (currentdomain.com and newdomain.com are of course just for examples):

1. Existing Paypal subscriptions to admin @ currentdomain.com ...Can I change the subscriptions to admin @ newdomain.com without affecting the clients?

2. Emails sent to admin @ currentdomain.com redirected to admin @ newdomain.com

3. People with nameservers set as:
---------- ns1.currentdomain.com
---------- ns2.currentdomain.com
The new nameservers will be:
---------- ns1.newdomain.com
---------- ns2.newdomain.com
How can I get around this without all users having to update their nameservers?

Thanks in advance,
Gareth.

06-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Mach5Host is offline Mach5Host
Software:

Mach5Host is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Gareth
Hello,

When I chose my domain for my hosting company I didn't really have the experience that I now have with domains and made quite a poor choice. I have now acquired a nice 5 letter brandable .com that I would like to change to.

There are a few things I am unsure of though, so I'm looking for a bit of guidance/advice.

I'd like to know how to deal with the following issues (currentdomain.com and newdomain.com are of course just for examples):

1. Existing Paypal subscriptions to admin @ currentdomain.com ...Can I change the subscriptions to admin @ newdomain.com without affecting the clients?

2. Emails sent to admin @ currentdomain.com redirected to admin @ newdomain.com

3. People with nameservers set as:
---------- ns1.currentdomain.com
---------- ns2.currentdomain.com
The new nameservers will be:
---------- ns1.newdomain.com
---------- ns2.newdomain.com
How can I get around this without all users having to update their nameservers?

Thanks in advance,
Gareth.
1.) - You can just keep the old paypal email on and add another email to the account. Then just inform your clients to start making payments to the other email. Or change them yourself.

2.) - You can set up a forwarder to redirect all emails from the old email to the new email.

3.) - No you cannot do that. The only way around that would be if all your clients registered there domains through you and you had the ability to change the dns for them. It would be a little more time consuming for you, but less of a hassle for your clients. If however they all or a mix of them have domains from other registrars (which I am sure is the case), Then the best way is that you need to send out a message to all your clients to inform them to change the dns.

06-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Jako is offline Jako
Expertise:
Software:

Jako is on a distinguished road

Old

With the paypal issue, I would just leave the old paypal email on your account and just let the subscriptions keep going to them. Add your new email and have your new subscriptions go to that, just inform the customers that you changed names, but your old email is still working for paypal.

Add your old domain as an addon domain and you can setup your email right from your main domains cpanel. Just redirect all of your told email accounts to their corresponding new accounts.

As long as you keep your old DNS registered under your domain at the registrar, the old name servers will still work. You can have people over time update to the new ones, but there really isn't a need to.

Closed Thread