Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1567 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

Sitepoint 'Sell Your Template' listing fee.

Thread title: Sitepoint 'Sell Your Template' listing fee.
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Ioana is offline Ioana
Expertise:
Software:

Ioana is on a distinguished road

Old

they can take e percent from the money you earn on their site selling templates. Just like rentacoder.com . If you don't make money they don't take you money.

09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Varelse is offline Varelse
Expertise:
Software:

Varelse is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Ioana
instead of that fee i would put a person to sort the templates. This way a good design gets into the site even if the author can't afford to pay $5, and an ugly one will be out of the game even if the author is bill gates
Who'd this person be? Moderator? Imagine the number of posts like "This #@$%@# Mod said my template sucks! And my friend said I am the best! WTH is wrong with this stupid Mod?! I'm off to other forums!"

they can take e percent from the money you earn on their site selling templates. Just like rentacoder.com . If you don't make money they don't take you money.
But there is also the exposure You get, unlike on RAC - this is also worth "some" money.

[ot]Funny, how a change on one forum has the impact and reply on another one... It show the meaning of that to the freelancers community.[/ot]

[edit]No "offtopic tag [/edit]

09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

They can sell them on semi-pro ones and when they get professional level and know what to charge for professional work - they'll easilly afford the $10 fee, and it will be much less then 10% of the price they'll sell their work for.
Just because people are selling their work for less than $50 doesn't mean they're not professional.

I could make a template and sell it for $25, does that mean I don't value my work?

I've seen work posted on forums priced at $500-800, work that isn't even worth the listing fee.

09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Great idea Ioana, but as i've said...they're obviously just interested in making more money for themselves....this could have been done a number of ways and each of those would have been a better solution than a listing fee.

09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Ioana is offline Ioana
Expertise:
Software:

Old

if I was the Moderator i wouldn't care that a bad designer gets angry at me and decides to live my forum. I don't want ugly templates anyways....and MY CLIENTS don't want bad templates too. And if the client is unsatisfied he won't buy, and if he won'y buy then i don't get any money. So here the clients are important...not the designers.

09-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Yes, I mean....I simply can't understand the real reason for this listing fee other than making money...it's not as if someone will buy a template if it's crap?

09-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

As I wrote - this isn't a rule. I can give my house for nothing or sell my car for $1 - and it doesn't mean that they're worth that low. It takes some time to learn how to value one's work and may be sometimes painful - in both cases (overpricing and underpricing).
If You make professional template for $25 - make 10 of them, list for $10 and set the price at $26. They'll sell in a few days for sure.

09-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

I think it's a load of ******** myself, it's another way for Sitepoint to profit from the sale or non-sale of others work. Don't think of it as a commission, it's just a frickin rip-off.

09-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

if I was the Moderator i wouldn't care that a bad designer gets angry at me and decides to live my forum. I don't want ugly templates anyways....and MY CLIENTS don't want bad templates too. And if the client is unsatisfied he won't buy, and if he won'y buy then i don't get any money. So here the clients are important...not the designers.
But if it was YOU who'd hear that "Your templates are not professional and ugly, and we care about clients, not designers here?"
Moderator can have different taste of the template being "professional".

09-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Ioana is offline Ioana
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
Yes, I mean....I simply can't understand the real reason for this listing fee other than making money...it's not as if someone will buy a template if it's crap?
well if you have to choose one nice template from that site and there are 50 ugly designs for every 1 beautiful design then there is a problem. The client gets bored searching through all that crap. He will search another site to buy templates from because this is becoming an 'ugly templates' site

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >