Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1367 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Assigning copyright, acceptable fee?

Thread title: Assigning copyright, acceptable fee?
12-20-2009, 08:02 AM
DarcyO is offline DarcyO
Expertise:
Software:

DarcyO is on a distinguished road

Old  Assigning copyright, acceptable fee?

Hello everyone.. I have an interesting question for you all.

I am a very new web designer in Canada.

I have a client that wishes to own the entire copyright for the website I am currently designing for her (ie have the copyright 'assigned to her as opposed to her being licensed to use my design for her site)

I have done my research.
Canadian copyright law does normally protect my copyright for the design/layout etc. of the site, while still maintaining her copyright to the 'content' of the site.

But it is possible to assign the copyright to my client under Canadian copyright law ( http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/ci...0090.html#no17 - The link is to the Government of Canada Intellectual property Office FAQ )

My client does have a valid reason for requiring ownership of the copyright for the site design, and I AM willing to grant it to her.

My question is this.. as the assignment of the copyright was outside the original scope of my price quote to her, and I have never encountered this situation before; what would (in your opinion) be an acceptable fee for assigning the copyright to her?

Note: the site has minimal graphics (simple backgrounds for header, footer and buttons) no logos designed by me, basically just the layout and navigation template for her site.

12-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Lukevdp is offline Lukevdp
Expertise:
Software:

Lukevdp is on a distinguished road

Old

I retain the right to use code and then let them have the rest. If it's just basic stuff it's not like it's worth anything to you.

12-25-2009, 10:24 PM
AndrewIGO is offline AndrewIGO
Software:

AndrewIGO is on a distinguished road

Old

Darcy - I think the answer is based on two questions you should ask yourself.

1. Do you want this client as a repeat?
2. Did taking the time to learn this new information hinder or advance your career? In this case, I'd say knowing that information and having it available for your clients in the future is going to 'advance' your career. So charging the client because you had to find this out seems irrelevant. You are designing the website for her in the first place, so technically she is already paying you for your services. You are just legalizing it under Canadian law, so have the client foot the bill + an extra small percentage if you wish.

Just my two cents,

01-02-2010, 05:46 PM
InventYourself is offline InventYourself
Software:

InventYourself is on a distinguished road

Old

Build on your relationship with this client, especially as your new to the industry! You've already gained from this experience with the information you had to personally source! Good work!

If you bought for "example" a logo/template from a graphic designer, then they told you had to pay them again for the "Copyright" would you hire them again? Probably not, you would more than likely feel cheated! However in the future, if you wish to reserve the rights to your works, document it in your work agreement or in your terms and conditions.

Good luck with this client, and future endeavours,

Matt.