Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1127 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming :

Please Point me in the right direction...

Thread title: Please Point me in the right direction...
11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
SickFade is offline SickFade
Expertise:
Software:

SickFade is on a distinguished road

Old  Please Point me in the right direction...

1. Ok, so i have a degree in IT, but basically have zero software/website development skills. I am extremely interested in getting started in website development (small business) first, then eventually expanding out to other types of development. Being a freelance web developer sounds appealing to me, so with this in mind where should i start?

2. Also, what are thoughts on Serifs product WebPlus x4 for a beginner to get started with a few sites?? is it possible to be a freelance web developer that uses this to create their sites, or all websites hand coded, because i was told that the days of hand coding an entire site are coming to an end??

3. Like i said i am completely in the dark on where to begin and how to attack this, all i know is that i have desire beyond belief to get this going....also can one expect to make freelance website development a well paying career, or is it in many ways better to get with a company??

thank you in advance...

11-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

1. PHP is a good language to start with, but dont expect to go at a professional level in any language for a while; this stuff takes a long time to understand.

2. Create your own website programs are generally never regarded as actual programming, they are closer to toys than tools. I would fire a freelancer the second I heard he was using one of those. As for the coming to an end statement, that is something said by impressed newbies and the makers of those programs; its not true.

3. Google is your friend, there are numerous guides on how to start with web development. Don't jump too far in too quick, the majority of people who start programming realize they dont actually like it. As for pay, consulting can pay very well but it is risky, going with a company is safer but often pays less. It all depends on what you want to to. You wont have either option for some time though since this stuff takes a long time to learn.

11-17-2010, 07:26 PM
SickFade is offline SickFade
Expertise:
Software:

SickFade is on a distinguished road

Old

thanks village.....would it be better to learn HTML/CSS first, before diving into PHP, or it does not matter?

11-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I would start with HTML but learn both concurrently.