Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1106 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

[Debate] Marijuana, legalise or not?

Thread title: [Debate] Marijuana, legalise or not?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old  [Debate] Marijuana, legalise or not?

It's been quite a while since we've had a good old debate here on talkfreelance and I think it's about time we did! The question is, do you think Marijuana should be legalised or not?

Personally, I think it should be made totally illegal. Although I also think smoking should be banned, but that's just me. Alot of people think marijuana isn't that damaging or harmful but that's not the case and research has shown this, it can lead to memory loss amongst other things.

I think the main reason I think it shouldn't be legalised is the society/culture that comes with it, too many youngsters are getting off their faces on this stuff and then this is where the trouble starts.

06-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Lewis Malpas is offline Lewis Malpas
Expertise:
Software:

Lewis Malpas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lewis Malpas

Old

We had the same discussion in English and it was really interesting, I remember somebody stating cannabis contained tetrahydrocannabinols (THC) if I remember correctly, which severely damaged you health in the long term, smoking cannabis in the long run also causes many other health problems. I guess I don’t like the fact its a drug and the word drug itself is pretty alarming to me, however I do agree with prescribed amounts for medical reasons as the purpose for taking cannabis is a lot different.

I would prefer cannabis to be illegal however I would much prefer smoking to be illegal and cannabis legal, I hate everything about smokers, even down to small details such as the way 'they' hassle each other and keep count of who they have given and cigarette and expect one in return, Sadly two close friends smoke and it has had a big impact on our relationship and I have tried to convince them to stop, besides the fact they smoke I find it ironic my friend tells other to stop smoking and drinking, even after having a long debate about what is more dangerous and addictive (cigarettes verses alcohol) he still rarely drinks and regularly smokes despite the fact it is against his morals and religion.

06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

I think it should be made legal. Lets be honest cannabis is about as common as cigarettes nowadays, i don't know a single person that doesn't or hasn't smoked it and it's effects are no more dangerous than smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol and yet nobody seems to really mind people that drink.

With it being so comman and so widly accepted it seems silly that's illegal and people that are opposed to it mainly are so because they say it leads on to other things and that the dealers use the money to fund crime (what aload of bull that is) - If these people think that then surely making it legal would stop this? Not to mention the time and money saved on pointless policing used to target dealers, money which could then be used to make people aware of the side affects to the drug which would in turn atleast raise awareness if not put people totally off. Also seeing as this country is tax mad just think of the money that could be made by taxing the stuff - I honestly can't see a downside to making it legal whereas i can see many pluses.

Thats my thoughts anyway

06-06-2005, 04:47 PM
elkjar is offline elkjar
Expertise:
Software:

elkjar is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to elkjar

Old

I think that marijuana should be legalized in the same way that Alcohol/Cigarettes are legal. Its a personal choice to smoke/drink, and I don't think the government can justify the legality of alcohol and cigarettes which kill thousands of people every day, and then ban cannabis which, while obviously damaging to the body (inhaling smoke into lungs cannot ever be healthy) is far less damaging than the other, convieniently taxed drugs.

Stating that it should be illegal because it can be harmful to your body is a silly notion, almost everything can be harmful to your body. Drinking too much orange juice destroys your teeth, caffiene causes growth problems which can lead to serious development problems. Caffiene also slowly destroys your brains ability to stay awake, so if you drink too much of it, you will require it to function. Out of most legal drugs, Marijuana has far less long lasting effects, there hasn't been a single study to link marijuana intake with any permanent damage. There is definitely short-term memory loss, but sitting too close to the TV can cause short-term memory loss, and last I checked, Television was still legal.

If Marijuana was licenced and distributed by the government, taxed on an absurd level. (30%+) and grown by professionals, it would be a multi-billion dollar industry, just like cigarettes and alcohol, only it would result in less deaths.

The way it sits right now, people are doing the drugs anyways, so why not tax them and then put the money back into useful programs like lowering the cost of tuition and increasing benefits for the lower class.

06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
techo is offline techo
Software:

techo is on a distinguished road

Old

Makes no difference to me, I don't smoke.. and cant see my self ever smoking, it smells, damages your health and your paying for it!

06-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Koobi is offline Koobi
Software:

Koobi is on a distinguished road

Old

There are contradicting stories from both sides as far as I've heard. Some claim THC destroys memory, others say it doesnt...so far the most convincing evidence I have heard says that THC only changes the structural tissue around certain parts of the brain also, that THC only slows the neurotransmitters between synapses and it doesn't mess up your memory...messed up memory might be a side effect of lazyness which can be a direct effect of Mirajuana.

I believe that tobacco and alcohol does a LOT more damage than THC. Alcohol actually kills brain cells...although I don't smoke tobacco and I drink occasionally...
There is no evidence that cell death occurs in the presence of THC, only that there's something like a 'traffic block' at the synapses as I mentioned earlier.

I don't think Mirajuana should be illegal...either that or they should make alcohol and tobacco illegal as well. Mirajuana is also not addictive.

I think the trick is to control your intake. The high is nice if you get some quality stuff but you've gotta balance it out or you neglect your work...so limited intake is ok I guess...certainly better than getting drunk IMO

06-06-2005, 10:39 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

Free the weed!

I smoked weed every day for 15 years and it had no lasting effects on me that I am aware of.

What's this thead about again?

J/K
Whilst smoking, (I gave up in 2002), I held down a good job and caused nobody any harm, including myself. I've seen a lot more damage caused by alcohol having seen friends stabbed & glassed by drunks... I've never seen anybody get attacked by someone that was stoned.

Marajuana isn't physically addictive, whereas nicotine and alcohol are. I say physically addicted because I have known people that were mentally addicted i.e. they thought they couldn't give up, but when there was a drought they suffered no withdrawl and no physical side effects - can you say the same for alcoholics?

However SOME people do suffer from side effects from continued use... Paranoia for instance is something I've seen in a minority of long-term users and it is something that was cured by giving up indicating a definite link.

As someone mentioned previously laziness can definitely occur - but is this a side effect of THC or would the examples have just been lazy anyway... from what I've seen, and I've known a LOT of smokers, some people are just born lazy and some aren't.

Thought patterns can be disturbed whilst under the influence but not to such a degree as with alcohol where total functionality loss is all too common.

One of the main problems preventing governments from legalising cannabis, IMO, is the difficulty with taxation. It's all too easy to grow your own. But this could be solved by legalising marajuana purchase, possession and usage whilst maintaining a ban on cultivation... Whiskey is legal but I believe it's still illegal to run your own distill your own?

So my opinion, based on experience, is that marajuana should be legal, sold through licensed outlets - as they do in Holland, and taxed at a sensible level.

What's the deal in the UK atm - I heard it had been totally de-criminalised anyway?

06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Rys is offline Rys
Expertise:
Software:

Rys is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Rys Send a message via MSN to Rys

Old

I've had this discussion so many times, and I often become irritated at the ignorance to the facts about the so called "drug" and its effects on people.

Fact: The brain has THC receptors specifically made to take in and react to the chemical.
Fiction: Marijuana is physically addicting.
Fact: Marijuana has proven medical uses.
Fiction: Marijuana affects the ability to make rational decisions.

The following is courtesy FriendlyStranger.com:

What is Cannabis?
Cannabis is a plant that grows much like corn or wheat, not some powdered drug produced in a clandestine laboratory. It has many other uses besides being the lowest risk recreational substance used in society.

The stalk of the plant, known as "Hemp", contains fiber and hurds and is a sustainable, environmentally friendly, renewable, natural resource.

The flowers contain a mild psychoactive ingredient called THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). When the flowers or "buds" are dried and smoked they are more commonly referred to as "Marijuana".

Who uses cannabis recreationally?
People from middle teens, to seniors, in all walks of life, in every country around the globe. Yes, even doctors, lawyers, judges, police and politicians!

Why do people smoke it?
Cannabis produces a feeling of well being, promotes the facilitation of interpersonal behavior, and reduces aggressive behavior. In other words, it usually makes people happy, sociable and peaceful.

Is cannabis addictive?
No. Cannabis produces no withdrawal symptoms no matter how heavily it is smoked. It is habit forming (psychologically addictive), but not physically addictive.

For a drug to be physically addictive, it must be reinforcing, produce withdrawal symptoms, and produce tolerance. Marijuana is reinforcing, because it feels good, but it does not do the other two things.

Caffeine, nicotine and alcohol are all physically addictive.

Has anyone ever died from smoking it?
No. Cannabis is nontoxic. No deaths from a cannabis overdose have ever been verified. It has been estimated that one would have to smoke eight hundred cannabis cigarettes to induce a fatal reaction, and even then one would probably receive a lethal dose of carbon monoxide first.

Does cannabis lead to harder drugs?
No. This is known as the “gateway” or “stepping stone” theory. That by trying cannabis, it will lead to the use of heroine, cocaine or other dangerous substances. Fact is, caffeine, tobacco, and alcohol are the first drugs to be encountered during adolescence, as these are legal and more readily available. People who use hard drugs do so of their own choice whether or not they have tried cannabis.

Does cannabis have any other uses?
Cannabis is usually ranked among the top medicines, called “panaceas”, a word which means “cure-all”. The therapeutic potential of cannabis includes: treating multiple sclerosis, asthma & breathing difficulties, alcoholism, glaucoma, AIDS, epilepsy, migraine headaches & severe pain, as well as being an antiarthritic, antidepressant & anticonvulsant. It can be used to control inflammation, and for relief of nausea in cancer treatment patients. This is just a sampling of the medicinal properties this plant has to offer.

Hemp Stalks and Hemp Seed have vast industrial applications. See the chart below for a quick overview of hemp’s incredible potential.

Why is cannabis illegal?
Prohibition began when cannabis / hemp was made illegal under the name "marijuana" in the Opium and Narcotic Drug Act of 1923. It was a decision based on misinformation, sensationalism and public manipulation that effects us to this day. (Click Here for information on marijuana prohibition)

-------

The main thing I tell people about marijuana is its effects are 100% dependent on the person using it. If the person moves onto harder drugs it is very likely they would have done so to begin with. Many other marijuana users use no other drugs and do not feel the need to. The effects while on the substance can also be controlled through a strong mind (ie: if you tell yourself you are ok...youll be ok, if you tell yourself your going to die...your most likely going to be a bit hysterical).

The topic itself is hard to arque, which is why it remains such a debate today. All I can say is when I turn 18, thanks to california voters in 1996 I can legally get my medication for back pain and anxiety

06-06-2005, 11:05 PM
echoepidemic is offline echoepidemic
Expertise:
Software:

echoepidemic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to echoepidemic Send a message via MSN to echoepidemic

Old

Personally, I think it should be illegal.

It basically ruined my family. My step-dad didn't want to get a job because he was getting money buy growing the stuff. So my mom had to work 12 hour shifts. They started argueing a lot more and then we moved out. :P

Marijuana is no fun.

06-07-2005, 02:16 AM
elkjar is offline elkjar
Expertise:
Software:

elkjar is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to elkjar

Old

I don't think you can rationally blame a drug for the choices your family made, thats like saying that its my cars fault that I got a speeding ticket.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >