Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 743 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

A business in teaching xhtml/css?

Thread title: A business in teaching xhtml/css?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
10-29-2006, 03:54 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old  A business in teaching xhtml/css?

Hey,

I was thinking. Maybe setting up a site to offer css/xhtml one-2-one teaching simple techniques and ilustrating how to do things in css/xhtml.

I have a lot more ideas on how it will be structured and dealt with but is there any law behind doing this? Eg; do i have to be a qualified teacher in css/xhtml or anything?

Would it be illegal for me to teach someone what i knew for say $5 for 30 mins of teaching, answering questions etc..

What's your opinions?

10-29-2006, 04:43 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

I do believe there is a market for it. However I believe you way of delivery may be a little bad for making profit. $5 for 30 minutes is a horrible rate to be marketing yourself at--I'd suggest atleast $40+ an hour if you knew your CSS/XHTML and had everything planned out for the user.

There are always other options that you could look at too. Such as producing your own set of simple ebooks, or video collection of how to code/skin websites, produce unique code, etc. Then instead of an hourly wage, you could offer the entire video collection for a flat rate, with an additional per/hour rate for 'support' there after.

This way you have something outlined or something to refer to when you are teaching.

And as far as I know, there are no 'international' teaching laws. I do not know about the UK, however in America I do not believe you have to be a registered teacher unless you intend to teach in a public school? Don't quote me on that, but as far as I know it is not illegal for what you are proposing to do.

10-29-2006, 05:08 PM

Old

Thanks Bennett,

I do agree with the pricing, but it's so hard to find people on forums that are willing to pay the $40+ an hour. $5 (Stupid i know) but people are more likely to pay that i think. Underselling myself i know but if i have more chance of getting clients at $5. Say i got 30 at $5 that's $150 but say i only got 2 at $40 an hour, that's $80. Today people are always willing to design or code next to nothing, myself being one of them and it is annoying and a lot of has changed since 2-3 years ago in terms of the web design industry and the econmy of it.

I like the idea you had about the ebooks. I think that could work a huge deal. But again there is so much on the web in terms of tutorials, videos and blogs telling others how to do stuff. I haven't yet figured what would be unique about my videos/lessons and ebooks as you say so im still thinking...

I'm going to try and find out more information regarding the teaching laws. I suppose displaying I'm not a qualified coder, it's a hobby etc... and i just want to make a bit of profit from my knowledge then i don't see any problems with it, but i'll investigate anyways to double check.

Thanks Bennett, anyone else have something to say? or suggestions?

cheers

10-29-2006, 05:41 PM
itaca is offline itaca
Expertise:
Software:

itaca is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to itaca Send a message via MSN to itaca

Old

well yeah 30 clients at $5 is more than 2 at $40 but it's 30 hours to 2 hours aswell. And if you know your stuff and I would be able to ask about specific problem I would gladly pay $40+ an hour...

There is definately an audience for this but I'm not sure that forums would be the place to go. I know that alot of design students would need some training in this..

10-29-2006, 05:46 PM
hyper.x is offline hyper.x
Expertise:
Software:

hyper.x is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to hyper.x

Old

well.. if u charge so little maybe u could teach multiple persons at once??
just an idea tho.. i think i woul dbe interested with such low prices

10-29-2006, 06:20 PM

Old

I'm only a student myself, i'm in 6th form (its further education) and i see people designing websites on photoshop elements in school and stuff for their graphics projects for example but they havent got a clue how to code up a website and i was just listening to what they were saying and stuff. One goes "I think you can use FrontPage to make the website with, i dont know how.." it was funny hearing them figure it out.

I think targeting it at a market like a school or a group, i've been thinking of running a nightclass just for a hobby, but i didnt know if it would be wrong of me charge because im not qualified, im just more experienced than them. I think i might give this one a go. Maybe $5/$10 entrance fee every Thursday night for example, it will start from the basics to the more advanced...I suppose i could only target this to people in my school and it wouldn't be online work.

I'm really thinking of writing some ebooks that will be properly illustrated with instructions and guides how to make certain types of layouts, how to use floats, clear: both etc..

Anybody got any ideas of turning this into an online presence and offering something? Anybody willing to team-up? Offering some sort of product or incentive too people who pay.

Anyways, its all just a big blur to me atm, i'm going to give it a think over the next week.

10-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

If you wish to go into consulting, then charging $5 will be a turn off to prospective clients. A consultant and that price just don't go together -- give yourself some recognition for your skills and charge a normal, professional rate. Look for around £25/hour for starters.

10-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by BRHJamie
I'm only a student myself, i'm in 6th form (its further education) and i see people designing websites on photoshop elements in school and stuff for their graphics projects for example but they havent got a clue how to code up a website and i was just listening to what they were saying and stuff. One goes "I think you can use FrontPage to make the website with, i dont know how.." it was funny hearing them figure it out.

I think targeting it at a market like a school or a group, i've been thinking of running a nightclass just for a hobby, but i didnt know if it would be wrong of me charge because im not qualified, im just more experienced than them. I think i might give this one a go. Maybe $5/$10 entrance fee every Thursday night for example, it will start from the basics to the more advanced...I suppose i could only target this to people in my school and it wouldn't be online work.

I'm really thinking of writing some ebooks that will be properly illustrated with instructions and guides how to make certain types of layouts, how to use floats, clear: both etc..

Anybody got any ideas of turning this into an online presence and offering something? Anybody willing to team-up? Offering some sort of product or incentive too people who pay.

Anyways, its all just a big blur to me atm, i'm going to give it a think over the next week.

I'd personally skip on the ebooks and go with videos of some type. It'd be much more interesting watch the code be written with someone sitting there and describing why its done, what it does, etc. Then for sales, release 1-2 good ones online on a website to get your traffic moving, and release the rest on a CD. (Sell the CD.) You could always throw in a free ebook with it.

I know one on one training prices in person usually run $80-150+ an hour for IT related teaching. But then again, in the end it really comes right down to what you feel your time is worth. If you think you could get 30 people to pay you $5 to watch you speak in front of them for an hour, great. However as someone said above, sure you're making more money at having alot of clients with low prices, but high prices and a few clients mean basically near same money with less work.

10-29-2006, 07:24 PM

Old

All good points. I've never made a video tutorial so it will something new for me and also let me learn in that section too.

I want to do something online and the thing with the CD is that im not a professional coder, im sure that Cameron Molls or Dan Cederholm would be able to do this no doubt because they've had experience writing a book etc and could get the traffic easily. Would you say im wasting my time all together with this idea or...? If it's marketted right do you think that it could be successful?

The web is full of hosts, forums and tutorial sites so i want to set aside and do something different. Would consultancy be a best option do you think to move into? Web development is still needed but the market is saturated by web designers. It's hard to be competitive on the Internet. It's easy off the web because i know several hundred people who run businesses and i could all design their sites and code them and host them, making me a tiny nice little profit. However i've already made some of them a site and i want to move from just designing and finishing with the client, i'd like to give back another way, by helping others with free publications and paid distributed CDs (Videos + ebooks) as you suggested.

10-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by BRHJamie
All good points. I've never made a video tutorial so it will something new for me and also let me learn in that section too.

I want to do something online and the thing with the CD is that im not a professional coder, im sure that Cameron Molls or Dan Cederholm would be able to do this no doubt because they've had experience writing a book etc and could get the traffic easily. Would you say im wasting my time all together with this idea or...? If it's marketted right do you think that it could be successful?

The web is full of hosts, forums and tutorial sites so i want to set aside and do something different. Would consultancy be a best option do you think to move into? Web development is still needed but the market is saturated by web designers. It's hard to be competitive on the Internet. It's easy off the web because i know several hundred people who run businesses and i could all design their sites and code them and host them, making me a tiny nice little profit. However i've already made some of them a site and i want to move from just designing and finishing with the client, i'd like to give back another way, by helping others with free publications and paid distributed CDs (Videos + ebooks) as you suggested.

Just something to keep in mind: sure there are thousands of designers, but there are even more people needing the service. It's all about marketing and advertising.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >