Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 855 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Graphics design...

Thread title: Graphics design...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
08-31-2008, 06:31 AM
Hastings is offline Hastings
Software:

Hastings is on a distinguished road

Old  Graphics design...

Hey everyone,

As you can see by my post count, I'm new here, however I am really impressed by what I see in the way of some of the graphics work done by a lot of you around here. I am what I call a "web 2.0 style" designer, but let's not get in to the argument as to what that is exactly. I am not bad at making website designs with simple gradients and whatnot for affect, but when it comes to anything super detailed I just fail epically (logos, banners, etc).

An example about what I'm talking about
A website I designed is http://www.geeklayer.net/ - I made the design, but a different guy made the logo, live chat image, and the "Want a VPS that SCREAMS" banner.

My question to you is: How did you get started learning your graphics design techniques, and where do you get your inspiration?

Thanks!

09-01-2008, 01:59 AM
ExplicitDesign is offline ExplicitDesign
Software:

ExplicitDesign is on a distinguished road

Old

Started learning mostly from reading Photoshop tutorials on the internet and following them to learn how all the tools in PS work ect. - get my inspiration from almost anything, websites, design magazines, movies, artwork ect.

09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Injected is offline Injected
Software:

Injected is on a distinguished road

Old

I started learning my skills by playing with the tools, I then read/wrote some tutorials, experimented with other applications, and most importantly I found my style. As far as inspiration, just look around, the world is full of it.

09-03-2008, 01:35 AM
ChocolateMesher is offline ChocolateMesher
Software:

ChocolateMesher is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to ChocolateMesher Send a message via MSN to ChocolateMesher

Old

Try and look for online designing magazine sites and blogs. They have lots of resources and inspirational articles and stuff..

One that I go to every now and then is http://smashingmagazine.com

09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
hartofalyon is offline hartofalyon
Expertise:
Software:

hartofalyon is on a distinguished road

Old

with photoshop, i just learned from tutorials on the web as well as books. for design ideas like logos, i tend to sketch them out in a sketchbook and once satisfactory, i translate it into photoshop.

09-05-2008, 08:47 PM
outsource is offline outsource
Software:

outsource is on a distinguished road

Old

I started young and was inspired by other websites. Just playing around with free tools on geocities/yahoo and then I started using WYSIWYG editors..then the more I surfed the more I started to getting into photoshop and notepad.

09-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Shelley is offline Shelley
Expertise:
Software:

Shelley is on a distinguished road

Old

Many of my image creations (not styles) purely came from motivation in creating bulletin board images which the backbone of all my creations are down to experimenting and perseverance. Starting out using free applications shortly migrating to mid range commercial software and ended in using the software I've been using for nearly 3 years which is photoshop.

my inspiration came from a lazy, sarcastic designer who I still look up to this day which he unknowningly has embedded the way I create my designs even to this day.

09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
kas is offline kas
Software:

kas is on a distinguished road

Old

I looked at other peoples templates and tried to copy them. I was always fascinated in designing and how amazing graphics can be created. Im still in the learning process but ive learned all the basic techniques

02-02-2009, 11:39 PM
simonhayes_ is offline simonhayes_
Software:

simonhayes_ is on a distinguished road

Old

I started when I was around 14, when I was in to Wrestling and E-Federations. I always wanted my own signatures and graphics for my roleplays so thats what started it.

Then I went on to create sites for my friends who also wanted their own 'federation'

I loved it. Self taught by just having an idea then seeing how it was possible, tutorials can teach you everything. As can playing around.

02-24-2009, 11:36 PM
baka12 is offline baka12
Software:

baka12 is on a distinguished road

Old

yea i learn alot of photoshop from tuts. but you have to have some kind fo creative view or else ull just be making the tutorial all over again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >