Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1478 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

$400 logo competition is on!

Thread title: $400 logo competition is on!
Closed Thread  
Page 7 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
06-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks, I guess...

We have Jason from CreativeNine.com working on the finishing elements now. There were quite a few elements not finished by previous designer and never delivered by previous previous designer. This tells you the story of a painful reality of the process that we have been going through.

This thread, however, is about a logo.

06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

There were quite a few elements not finished by previous designer and never delivered by previous previous designer.
If that's suppose to be a cheap shot. You do remember I actually went out of my way to design a lot of stuff you're not implementing, and you never originally asked me to design, in fact I recall you purchasing a mass of crappy rehashed vBulletin templates. I offered you an escape and was completely happy designing for free, and originally refused being hired on that basis.

You made a poor decision in letting this community decide the design. Most of these people don't understand content structure and were always going to select the prettiest art. You shouldn't waste time on a unique theme if it's content structure is identical to vBulletin's. It's a waste of time and improves nothing.

Though this was 2 years ago. If I were designing a forum today it would look completely different to what you know as a forum, and I wouldn't even sugar coat saying no when being asked to have another designer resume my work.

If I missed any elements you should of brought them up whilst signing off.

06-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

I wasn't talking about you (you'd be the "previous previous previous" designer in such a case), but if you want to go there, then I don't think it is up to you to tell that the community doesn't understand this or that, or that it made the wrong choice. I always go back to the community because all that is taking place here - it is done for this community's benefit. 90% of the votes have gone to the alternative look of the concept you created. If anything, a poor decision on my behalf would have been to pick the design that was favouring only 10% of everyone.

There is nothing wrong with going for an unique, out of the box look. There is nothing wrong with selecting prettier art either. However, while we strive for originality, we cannot walk too much away from the default structure of vB because it would provide for nightmare of a process during the software updates. I've been very clear on that. I know that you prefer moving away from vBulletin, but there is no better platform available that can compete with the flexibility and functionality that vBulletin offers. If it pops up and I'll notice the desire of many to go that way, we'll definitely work toward switching, especially if this is something the community will want us to do. It'll cost money, but it's alright. For now, vBulletin is still the leading software to meet our objectives.

Having said that, you can clearly see that we retained your design's structure completely, so you are first and foremost critiquing your own work here. Almost nothing (except the profile page) has changed in the layout of the design.

I am not going to get involved in an argument, Dan. This thread is about the logo contest.

06-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
Hello all! I am happy to inform that we finally have a winner!

Conceptually, Andrew (a.k.a benko at 99designs) has delivered the strongest logo that is as creative as it is highly suiting and practical for us to use.

While this is the awarding entry, I had a difficult time in selecting the actual variant. Andrew has invested a lot of time and effort into understanding the objectives, taking my feedback and playing into different angles.
http://99designs.ca/logo-design/cont...510/entries/67

The new logo properly represents the new direction of the new design and it will make a perfect fit for us in the long run. Additionally, I have quickly communicated with Andrew for the purpose of possibly making some minor changes and working out a couple of alternatives with different fonts, as well as some extra work. What I want to do is partially use that simple but phenomenally effective graphical element in forum's new design itself.

Congratulations to Andrew and to all the TalkFreelance members with a soon to have cool new symbol of the community.
Really? Wow. It looks crap.

06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Michael C is offline Michael C
Expertise:
Software:

Michael C is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Michael C

Old

Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Disagree, Benko's was easily the best logo to me. Although I agree with Artashes on it being difficult to decide which variation.

06-18-2012, 08:55 AM
nomatch is offline nomatch
Software:

nomatch is on a distinguished road

Old

With regards to the logo - I honestly agree with Dan completely. It's just too conflicting. However, its not like it can't be changed right? Artashes did say they're working on getting the final concept improved. Positive thoughts, positive thoughts!

06-18-2012, 10:33 AM
t0m is offline t0m
Expertise:
Software:

t0m is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
I never usually approve of such blatant put downs, but yeah... its awful. $400 and this amount of time - thats the best that could be produced? Scary.

06-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

Originally Posted by t0m View Post
I never usually approve of such blatant put downs, but yeah... its awful. $400 and this amount of time - thats the best that could be produced? Scary.
Don't get me wrong, nor do I. In fact this is the first time I've said something like this. But this was my honest reaction.

07-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Matsbe is offline Matsbe
Software:

Matsbe is on a distinguished road

Old

I like the logo! However I do feel that the "written" part of the text is to much swirled...

08-31-2013, 05:23 AM
mikeroq is offline mikeroq
Expertise: xHTML/CSS/PHP/Computer Tech
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++, Winamp

mikeroq is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to mikeroq Send a message via MSN to mikeroq Send a message via Yahoo to mikeroq

Old

I wanted to comment on this, since today is the first that I have seen that logo. It has been over a year, so I don't know if it is going to be used but I do not like it. It starts out alright, but that cursive at the end kills me. Maybe if it was smaller. To me it jumps out too much, plus it's a bit screwy. Just my two cents.

Closed Thread  
Page 7 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >