View Single Post
07-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Firefall is offline Firefall
Expertise: Design/Development
Software: Photoshop, Crimson Editor

Firefall is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Firefall Send a message via AIM to Firefall Send a message via MSN to Firefall Send a message via Yahoo to Firefall Send a message via Skype™ to Firefall

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
First off, don't work for free. If you are going to do so leave no misconceptions that they stand in your debt for this and they can get fussy after they pay you. Go as far as to offer a complete refund of $0.00 for your services. Walk away the second they get annoying; you certainly have better things to do than waste your time with an annoying freeloader.

When doing it for money, charge by the hour (see my article on the subject here). Have a detailed outline of what you are going to and what you think its going to cost, make it clear that new things take time and therefore you will charge more. You will see a lot less scope creep after you've done that. Have it in a written contract as well, they take those a whole lot more seriously than emails.
Thank you! Your article was exactly what I was looking for!

I got out of doing "free" work a long time ago. (Not even to friends and family.) Too much hassle for everything I put into it.