09-24-2007, 06:20 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

sure you could:

x = 8
does x = 5 + 3 or 4*2, maybe 16 / 2, 9 - 1, 4 - -4, etc?

one isn't right over the other just because it uses a different method. one is probably better, IE 5+3 over 4 - -4, because it's cleaner and more straight forward, but 4 - -4 isn't wrong, it still equals 8, it's just not as good of a solution.

example 2: if someone makes a logo in photoshop is it a bad design just because it's raster? it's not very functional, but that doesn't effect the aesthetics.

sometimes people take this table thing too far. if you can use divs, good, do it. but the internet doesn't break when someone uses a table. it just makes you better than 1 more person.

edit: i'm saying this more to people who say "table = bad coder". i've seen equally bad work come from people using divs. just using divs over a table doesn't make you any better of a coder - especially if you don't even understand why you're doing it.

also, rules can be broken. if it takes 2 steps to do it via table and 14 to hack up some workaround with divs, is it really better recreating the wheel? funny how some coders will do almost anything to recreate the wheel in order to be table free, then they complain about how designers are bad for trying to recreate the wheel too much when they try to break out of boring design expectations.

another edit: is someone a bad driver because they have an automatic transmission instead of a standard?

i just think someone people take it too seriously at times.