View Single Post
03-06-2005, 04:27 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Lord Kalthorn's really long post = make standards aimed at the majority
you propositions does make the most logical case, but the scenario is twisted. it's not that the standards are being built for the minority browsers, it's the opposite; they're being built to the standards.

During the netscape IE war IE won. IE has never rendered pages properly. i remember back about 4 years ago i was testing web pages in IE and netscape and they were displaying differently much like the FF vs IE we have today, so it's not like IE's engine just up and started sucking. IE was always bad, there just wasn't anything good to compare it to because netscape wasn't much better at it.

for a while no one seemed to care, then all of a sudden web standards became popular the same way using css is or the way 3d abstract crystals were popular in 2001. i don't know what triggered it but in early spring 2003 when i was introduced to the concept of web standards and validation (not tableless coding i got that about 4 months before) nobody i spoke with in the field cared about them. then about 5 months later everybody was bitching and whining about them like some UN protocol.

Mozila hopped on the trend like any good business would and designed a browser meant for developers that followed the guidelines set by the standards everyone was ranting about (not much different from this thread).
  • W3 defined the 'rules', IE didn't follow them neither did netscape
  • w3 introduces xhtml IE isn't working any better ( i feel proud that i stated using xhtml and css before it became a trend )
  • developers whine about how IE doesn't follow the rules - Mozilla capitalizes and designes more specific browser for devleopers
  • everyone puts a "get Firefox" image under their name
  • people start ranting blindly about how standards make or break the world accusing other people of not knowing what they're talking about
  • nobody listens to them because nobody likes something forced upon them
  • the earth continues to rotate and orbit the sun despite the lack of standards in so many people's work