Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1332 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Tables vs Tableless layouts?

Thread title: Tables vs Tableless layouts?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
02-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Legendary is offline Legendary
Software:

Legendary is on a distinguished road

Old

Pretty much, any design and any layout could be done in a tableless coding.

That example showed by "KISWA" is not even that complex!! But position: absolute is not the way to go. The CSS could be improved...

02-10-2005, 11:07 PM
kiswa is offline kiswa
Expertise:
Software:

kiswa is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by JamesYooKay
Cool indeed, but my validator detects 9 warnings.

Not important though.
Oops. I thought I had fixed that before uploading. It validates now. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

02-11-2005, 05:16 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Legendary
Pretty much, any design and any layout could be done in a tableless coding.

That example showed by "KISWA" is not even that complex!! But position: absolute is not the way to go. The CSS could be improved...
this man definatly knows the score!

it could be improved upon, but it's a good start.

02-11-2005, 12:07 PM
kiswa is offline kiswa
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by derek.l
EDIT: travis. it's not overly complicated, but it gets the job done; http://www.vectorthis.com/lhs/index.php
You know you can accomplish that rollover menu without javascript right? It can be coded into the CSS.

I'm sure you knew that, so... why'd you go the javascript route?

02-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Rather than bitching about each others attempts to do things correctly, why not question why no-one yet has provided a flawless example?

Is perfection in the mind of the person coding the site necessarily the same as someone picking it apart for problems?

02-11-2005, 01:38 PM
kiswa is offline kiswa
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe
Rather than bitching about each others attempts to do things correctly, why not question why no-one yet has provided a flawless example?

Is perfection in the mind of the person coding the site necessarily the same as someone picking it apart for problems?
I didn't mean my response to sound that way, if it did. I was just wondering what made him choose to use javascript rollovers as opposed to doing it with the CSS. It wasn't intended as any type of attack on his choice, I was just curious.

02-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Firstly, my use of the word "bitching" might have come across as too harsh. I just meant to air my frustration that even when someone aims to post a good example of the type of markup being discussed here -- it gets picked to pieces.

I'd just like to see some well done examples of everything you guys are talking about here. It is all well and good preaching about it, but lets see some evidence. You folks have posted some links, which go part of the way. But pushing the point about javascript; given that you're heavily interested in XHTML, CSS, semantic markup and so on... what are your thoughts on accessibility. Maybe it is time to start another thread on this new topic? The use of JavaScript (in various ways) can figure heavily in any discussion of accessibility. It may be included in valid XHTML documents, and be well marked up... but is it really accessible. Why use JS and not another means of doing something. Why use JS at all?!

Discuss.

02-11-2005, 05:27 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by kiswa
I didn't mean my response to sound that way, if it did. I was just wondering what made him choose to use javascript rollovers as opposed to doing it with the CSS. It wasn't intended as any type of attack on his choice, I was just curious.
simply out of lazieness. +)

this was for a school assignment (it probably wil never actually be used) and i coded it just for the sake of having a realistic working example in a portfolio. if you look at the about page, the sub links are pure code, because if it was actually used, it's be php driven and they'd have the ability to add and remove anu sub links, but the global links will go as is, so they don't need to be able to change and images were the quicker route.

frankly, i don't care enough to have a 'coder's heavn' website. coming up with a good design is harder then coding a basic box design. if that's what people want, they can spend $30 on an html book and do it themselves. i simply use what coding abilities i have to best suit the design i come up with. icode what i design, not the other way around.

02-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Travis is offline Travis
Software:

Travis is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for posting that example Derek. I sort of agree with the others that the navigation there could have been done with css instead of javascript but bar that the code is quite good. It is a simple layout that looks like it was designed with code in mind, however it has helped me realise where I can cut down on my own code. In future I might be able to save a bit of time coding layouts and make my code slightly neater and easyier to work with. I must say though my later projects the amount of code and styles has been cut back alot already.

03-04-2005, 03:13 AM
trackstr777 is offline trackstr777
Expertise:
Software:

trackstr777 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to trackstr777

Old

http://www.jfletch.info/portfolio/illicitrecords/

http://www.jfletch.info/portfolio/boredvideo/

The CSS on the 2nd one doesn't validate to fix some browser-specific bugs on... YOU GUESSED IT.... Internet Explorer

/end bitter

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >