Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1344 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Tables work just fine too

Thread title: Tables work just fine too
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

I've been coding tableless for a while and to be honest, I would find trying to code tabled code harder to work with than tableless because I'm not used to it.

01-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Relapse is offline Relapse
Software:

Relapse is on a distinguished road

Old

I code tableless for everything except VB.

01-16-2007, 09:17 PM
jabberwocky is offline jabberwocky
Expertise:
Software:

jabberwocky is on a distinguished road

Old

tables are great for laying out tablular data or like stuff, i dont think they are really for layout and design page structures. i use em when i need to, thats about it. everything else is divs

01-16-2007, 09:46 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

there's a difference between proper and valid. a man waering a sunday dress in the middle of a snowstorm could be considerd valid - he's wearing the dress the way it was designed to be worn - but there's no way that's considered proper usage.

it varies from designer to designer, but personally, if your design can't easily fit into a tableless structure, your design architecture is flawed and needs to be rethought.

you can be a great graphic design and still suck at web layout - it's not the quality of the concept/graphics that's the issue, but how it's organized on the screen. this is often seen in print desgners. laying out booklets in indesign isn't anything like structuring a web site's base html, so i forgive them, but that's my opinion on people who primarily deal with web.

01-18-2007, 07:15 PM
vkess is offline vkess
Software:

vkess is on a distinguished road

Old

I think most people are on the right track when it comes to semantic XHTML/CSS. CSS rules define layout. Tables are for tabular data. Etc... We all know this. But to get your head completely around this concept you have to consider accessibility.

Your pages aren't just displayed in IE on a PC, they may not even be displayed at all! It could be a text reader, and think how a table design might be interpreted by that. Someone might be dyslexic or visualy impared and require a custom colour set. What if someone prints your page, or is viewing it on a mobile device? This is why we use CSS, and should consider using multiple CSS files to include popular devices like screen, print, and mobile.

This might seem like a lot of hassle, but this is accessibility and nobody should be discriminated or alienated. Even from a business point of view these people are your audience and in the end they too will help keep you in business.

I know it's a horrible thought, but read http://www.w3.org/ It actually makes a lot of sense.

01-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Tables are simpler then div, I use them unless a client says no.
Uhm, no.

TABLE:
Code:
<table>
  <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
  </tr>
</table>
DIV
Code:
<div></div>
there's a difference between proper and valid. a man waering a sunday dress in the middle of a snowstorm could be considerd valid - he's wearing the dress the way it was designed to be worn - but there's no way that's considered proper usage.

Awesome, ver good way of putting it

01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
TheLaw is offline TheLaw
Software:

TheLaw is on a distinguished road

Old

That's true, tableless coding is much easier to locate the code and the spiders read your site faster, it gives a little of headache (if you don't have a good knowledge of CSS) to get it all working smoothely, but it is repaid.

Another interesting thing i have noted, is that (havent done table based layouts in awhile now)...but the sites i made table based had a better indexing on google especially...now this is something i should get into and test it.

01-18-2007, 10:51 PM
jabberwocky is offline jabberwocky
Expertise:
Software:

jabberwocky is on a distinguished road

Old

if you are using font/bold/italics IN your (x)HTML, you are WRONG! Just kidding. Not the way I do things now, but I used to. I think CSS ZenGarden is a great example as to why divs are the best tool for extensible markup....extensible being the focus there.

See how many designs and layouts are easily made all off the exact same code, only altering the style sheet? Table layouts do not have that kind of flexability..not layout wise. And then it just becomes easy to control the look of everything else after that throug style sheets.

01-19-2007, 12:04 AM
vkess is offline vkess
Software:

vkess is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by jabberwocky
if you are using font/bold/italics IN your (x)HTML, you are WRONG! Just kidding.
I almost had a heart attack with the mention of the "font" tag...

01-19-2007, 12:45 AM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

Tableless is better, but table-based works just fine too although they are fast becoming obsolete. As far as the "accessibility" issue - valid coding (with or without tables) is all you need to have an accessible site. Even invalid coding is usually accessible. People just like to be nit picky.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >