Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1379 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Pro's and Con's - CSS Layouts

Thread title: Pro's and Con's - CSS Layouts
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
06-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Mauro.Casas is offline Mauro.Casas
Expertise: programming, wizardy
Software:

Mauro.Casas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Mauro.Casas

Old

I rather use CSS than tables, as I think CSS has developed more features and let's you optimize the code instead of using <font></font> or setting background color into the <body> tag.

~Mauro

06-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Swerls is offline Swerls
Software:

Swerls is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Swerls Send a message via MSN to Swerls Send a message via Yahoo to Swerls Send a message via Skype™ to Swerls

Old

i use tables, not divs, but still use css for some simple colors, fonts, you get it all

06-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Senorra Templates is offline Senorra Templates
Expertise:
Software:

Senorra Templates is on a distinguished road

Old

I use only divs and css, tables are too slow to load and too complicated. And css is much clearer.

06-15-2008, 01:09 AM
rochow is offline rochow
Expertise:
Software:

rochow is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rochow Send a message via Skype™ to rochow

Old

Tables rock for more-complex-than-your-average forms. Some things are still a b*tch to do with CSS.

I do choose practicality over perfectionism sometimes

06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Ethan is offline Ethan
Expertise: html, css, photoshop
Software: photoshop, notepad, wordpress

Ethan is on a distinguished road

Old

I just love using a mix of tables and divs both manipulated by CSS. It's good to appreciate both for what they can do. I tend to use divs to put one sections right below another and manipulate with with CSS, but when it comes to more complex layouts, tables are just easier for me to format things horizontally and whatnot.

06-16-2008, 01:35 PM
DUB is offline DUB
Expertise:
Software:

DUB is on a distinguished road

Old

I only use tables when i have too such as tabular data. For everything else, i use divs makes life so much easier. I started off coding in tables only, when i moved on to using CSS and DIVS i found how much easier and better it was and continue to do so.

Only thing now is that i wish the IE browsers would die, it's one of the only browser's which cause web designers like myself so much pain!

06-16-2008, 04:38 PM
LeetPCUser is offline LeetPCUser
Expertise:
Software:

LeetPCUser is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to LeetPCUser Send a message via MSN to LeetPCUser Send a message via Yahoo to LeetPCUser

Old

If you aren't familiar with the different ways browsers display things then you might think CSS has "cons". The reality is even with tables and basic HTML you will have problems as well. CSS is a very powerful tool that, in my mind, has no cons associated with it. It does take awhile to become fluent, but once you do it becomes very easy.

06-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Ethan is offline Ethan

Old

Originally Posted by LeetPCUser View Post
If you aren't familiar with the different ways browsers display things then you might think CSS has "cons". The reality is even with tables and basic HTML you will have problems as well. CSS is a very powerful tool that, in my mind, has no cons associated with it. It does take awhile to become fluent, but once you do it becomes very easy.
Something I have learned endlessly is that I never fail to have less problems with tables across browsers than I do with divs. I've spent weeks experimenting with various methods of getting around it with even simple things, but like I said, it never fails. Tables have their kinks too, but less kinks that I have found than divs.

06-16-2008, 08:38 PM
LeetPCUser is offline LeetPCUser
Expertise:
Software:

LeetPCUser is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to LeetPCUser Send a message via MSN to LeetPCUser Send a message via Yahoo to LeetPCUser

Old

It all depends on what you grow up with. I grew up programming CSS and I can program any site to look good in all browsers. I wouldn't even know where to begin with a table design. The standards aren't in favor of table designs anymore. The only reason people started using tables for anything besides tabulated data in the first place was because IE sucks.

06-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Ethan is offline Ethan

Old

If tables arent in favor of standards, why are they still more browser compatible than divs in most cases?

And for the record, IE was the first browser. It was the release of all the secondary browsers that began the standards war, thinking that the browser that started it all should conform to them, when (if you put yourself in the shoes of being the one who was the first), isnt exactly reasonable. When it comes down to it, every browser has some kind of incompatibility with standards, even the new Opera 9.5, all because its how they get more members to use some certain browser.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >