Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 821 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

How important is validation to you?

Thread title: How important is validation to you?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
09-03-2009, 11:10 PM
The_Return is offline The_Return
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver

The_Return is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to The_Return

Old

Well twitter doesn't care with 91 errors lol http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

09-06-2009, 11:03 PM
SorelMihai is offline SorelMihai
Expertise:
Software:

SorelMihai is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to SorelMihai

Old

I worked as a front-end developer for a "psd to wordpress" type of company and I am sure that there are many other things more important that the validation.

There were situations when I was forced to sacrify the seo or usability of the code because of the validation.

09-07-2009, 04:54 AM
FWebDe is offline FWebDe
Expertise: Programming
Software: Firefox, Vim, Komodo Edit

FWebDe is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to FWebDe

Old

Originally Posted by SorelMihai View Post
I worked as a front-end developer for a "psd to wordpress" type of company and I am sure that there are many other things more important that the validation.

There were situations when I was forced to sacrify the seo or usability of the code because of the validation.
Can you please explain how validation affected SEO and usability? I always thought that valid code helps SEO.

09-07-2009, 01:30 PM
online is offline online
Software:

online is on a distinguished road

Old

Initially I was of the opinion that validation is a must and should do exercise for browser compatibility. But when I did research, I was shocked 90% of websites don't follow these validation guidelines.

09-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Trim is offline Trim
Software:

Trim is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Idd, validation is rather optional when there is risk of breaking site. On the other hand ppl still look at validation what sometimes is a pain like IE6 XD.

I would like to know sth about SEO and validation. I found sth about this but thats only single opinion http://www.darrinward.com/articles/s...ation-Rankings

09-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Kayla is offline Kayla
Expertise:
Software:

Kayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Validation is extremely important, but on the other side of that I often find myself struggling to validate code to achieve features my client may want. Valid code is the ultimate thing to strive for, but sometimes small validation errors are worth it too -- like when fixing an IE bug causes a validation error, but it overall improves the usability of the website.

09-14-2009, 03:27 AM
Dregond Rahl is offline Dregond Rahl
Software:

Dregond Rahl is on a distinguished road

Old

Validation is actually very important, more and more people are accessing things through mobile devices and integrating websites. Most people are lazy to validate after its been done once but in the long run all those errors will pile up and eventually someone will need to clean it up.

Everyone complains about IE and its flaws and why it can't stick to standards. The same goes for us programmers, we need to stick to standards so things work right, if we don't we are p-issing someone off somewhere.

09-14-2009, 05:53 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

validation is nice as a personal standard, but in the grand scheme of things, it's a tiny issue. as long as it behaves correctly without alienating a lrge percentage of potential users, people are happy. the two big reasons being:
  • most clients are technically inept and have no idea what you're talking about. the good ones just do whatever you tell them.
  • lots of back-end code does stuff validation doesn't like (specifically .net)

there's probably a lot more, but i'm drawing a blank right now, it's late.

it's nice to do, if you can. if you're going to do it, you might as well do it right, or as best you can, but time = money (spent) so unless you're working on some kind of government/organization (charity/foundation) site, most won't deem it worth breaking your back over.

09-14-2009, 05:55 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Dregond Rahl View Post
Validation is actually very important, more and more people are accessing things through mobile devices and integrating websites. Most people are lazy to validate after its been done once but in the long run all those errors will pile up and eventually someone will need to clean it up.

Everyone complains about IE and its flaws and why it can't stick to standards. The same goes for us programmers, we need to stick to standards so things work right, if we don't we are p-issing someone off somewhere.
well if project managers / programmers would stop taking shortcuts and using stupid things like microsoft extension libraries, this whole mess would go away... but maybe that was your point.

09-14-2009, 06:20 PM
prinsesa_11 is offline prinsesa_11
Expertise:
Software:

prinsesa_11 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to prinsesa_11 Send a message via MSN to prinsesa_11 Send a message via Yahoo to prinsesa_11 Send a message via Skype™ to prinsesa_11

Old

yeah i prefer being validated because this shows the professionalism of the work and the quality of the designer who created it

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >