Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 756 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Firefox problems

Thread title: Firefox problems
Closed Thread  
Page 7 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7
11-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

Originally Posted by jono1
Oh I see...on the official development blog of Internet Explorer they admit "that IE is behind the game in CSS support", admit that IE had a huge number of bugs that they've now fixed, admit that it is their explicit intent to "build a platform that complies with the appropriate standards" (somehow I doubt he's talking about IE's 'standards'), and you say you didn't read much of it and it doesn't apply to your arguement.
Very mature.
Lol, I read the Internet Explorer Blog regularly, it continues to be a disappointment each time I did not merely not read it all because Jonny suggested it :P Quite like Jonny actually, I read the entirity of the Wikipedia page he suggested to read. I did not read it all purely because I have read that kind of thing before. You cannot take a Blog post as policy anyway, so we will have to wait until it is fully released to see what updates are actually made.

As I said however, my opinions about internet standards are not based on what the Internet Explorer Team may or may not believe.

Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
I do not disagree the W3C standard is the wrong way of doing the standard purely because it is not Microsoft, nor because I think the people at Microsoft don't like it. I disagree with it because it is the wrong way :P The Internet Explorer Team are obviously being driven by a seperate force to which I would like them to be. I don't think it is nearly so strong as you seem to think from that Blog, but it has obviously been there for a while. I can only hope it will not destroy the fantastic work their way of doing it has brought.
I don't think even in that Entry that they admit to having numerous bugs :P That is all about rendering issues; they admit to having numerous W3C-standards rendering issues. A rendering issue against the W3C is not a bug

And so in doesn't apply to my arguement. I am saying that W3C standards are wrong, that Microsoft standards as I know them now are right. If Microsoft standards change, while I am not really going to say they are wrong they will not be right. Or indeed if they die off all together, which I still seriously doubt whatever that Blog says, the W3C standards will still be wrong :P I wasn't under the impression the standards bits of this little discussion were an Anti-Microsoft discussion on your part? That would kind of hint that you think the W3C are right because Microsoft can't be? It does sound a bit like it... you should really get some opinions of your own one day

11-13-2005, 04:30 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

actually, it's not that IE has rendering issues against the w3 standards, it simply has a bad engine, regardless of who made it.

try making documents work and parse as real xml applications, IE dies faster than anything no matter what standards you're trying to follow, be them w3 or even microsoft standards.

thus my point: IE's rendering engine can't even follow it's own standards sometimes, so it's not an issue about who's methodolgies are right and who's are wrong, but the engine itself.

w3 vs microsoft is really a completely different topic.

11-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by dereklapp
actually, it's not that IE has rendering issues against the w3 standards, it simply has a bad engine, regardless of who made it.
And why would that be?

try making documents work and parse as real xml applications, IE dies faster than anything no matter what standards you're trying to follow, be them w3 or even microsoft standards.
As real xml applications? Sounds like an opinion based on some kind of predefined way of doing something; which is a standard What is parsing as a real xml application? :P

thus my point: IE's rendering engine can't even follow it's own standards sometimes, so it's not an issue about who's methodolgies are right and who's are wrong, but the engine itself.
Engine works fine for me on a wide range of Internet useage :P Obviously you are just trying to find things it cannot do

w3 vs microsoft is really a completely different topic.
I was under the impression this was purely a discussion on the validity of the W3C standard :P But I'm quite happy with anything...

11-13-2005, 07:18 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

1. because it breaks even when people aren't sticking to web standards
  2. Scott says it better then i do
  3. i was trying to parse it as xml/xhtml instead of html 4.01. as text/html it rendered fine, as xml/xhtml it broke. is your defense against IE's bad rendering that parsing xhtml documents as xml/xhtml (being the point of making xhtml) is something it just can't do?
  4. as i recall, this was about your code not working

11-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

1. lol, well then people shouldn't not stick to web standards, and shouldn't stick to web standards either, they should sit down, and write a site, and make sure it works :P Work with their guts :P
  2. Lol, well he certainly did explain what
  3. Hmm... I didn't even know you could do that :P It would seem then there are some good things it cannot do You should get the Internet Explorer 7 Beta and see if that can do it I might give it a go some time, I wondered why XHTML wasn't any better :P
  4. Oh yeah But it has gone on about a lot of other stuff since :P

Closed Thread  
Page 7 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7