Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1409 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Starting to learn html/css, best website? :)

Thread title: Starting to learn html/css, best website? :)
Closed Thread    
02-07-2005, 05:54 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old  Starting to learn html/css, best website? :)

Hey everyone, i'm taking the plunge into learning how to code websites! What do you recommend as a beginners resource? I want to cover the basics first (coding up psds etc) but i want to learn the most upto date standards, tableless/xhtml etc. Should i go straight into this or start with html first?

Advice and decent links required Thanks in advance.

02-07-2005, 05:56 PM
FiveInteractive is offline FiveInteractive
Expertise:
Software:

FiveInteractive is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to FiveInteractive Send a message via MSN to FiveInteractive

Old

I am almost at the same boat as you, I want to code tabeless websites too
Btw, If you don't know html yet:

www.htmlgoodies.com is usually a nice place to start
Have a look at html for a few days before plunging into css too

02-07-2005, 05:58 PM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

I used http://www.w3schools.com/, becuase of the quizzes.

It actually involves you rather than just telling you how to do things, so it's quite fun to so.

02-07-2005, 06:00 PM
FiveInteractive is offline FiveInteractive
Expertise:
Software:

FiveInteractive is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to FiveInteractive Send a message via MSN to FiveInteractive

Old

Also, you can't forget w3schools, indeed JY

02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
lightofmind is offline lightofmind
Software:

lightofmind is on a distinguished road

Old

If I might offer my two cents here.

First things first: Find yourself a good text editor. You don't need anything fancy; I personally use TextPad (www.textpad.com). It's small, fast, and easily customizable. Whatever you do, don't rely on a WYSIWYG editor, such as Dreamweaver. It may seem easier at first, but once you really learn how to code, you'll realize that it produces horrible code, and you'll spend more time correcting it's mistakes than actually developing.

If you don't know HTML yet, you will probably find it easier to learn the table structures first. This is especially true if you ever plan on working in a group environment, or with clients. (Some clients have needs that can't be met by true standards-based development.) After that, move onto learning CSS positioning. The concepts are not that hard, but learning how to work around the various bugs that each browser has can be downright frustrating.

My advice: pick up a book on HTML / XHTML and learn it front to back. There are a lot of web sites that offer tutorials on HTML, but most of these sites will teach you bad habits, and outdated methods. (By the way, one of my favorite books out there is Jeffery Zeldman's "Designing With Web Standards". (You can find it on Amazon.)

Also, visit sites like MezzoBlue, A List Apart, Digital-Web, Zeldman, Inman, etc. Read as much as you can, and try to learn something new everytime you sit down.

Lastly, don't get discouraged. This is a learning process, and will take time. Keep plugging away, and you'll get there.

02-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Bas is offline Bas
Expertise: Frontend, vBulletin
Software: Coda, Photoshop

Bas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bas

Old

For HTMl go to http://www.w3schools.com/html
For CSS/tableless go to http://css.maxdesign.com.au

Do HTML first, then CSS

02-07-2005, 11:44 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Robson
Hey everyone, i'm taking the plunge into learning how to code websites! What do you recommend as a beginners resource? I want to cover the basics first (coding up psds etc) but i want to learn the most upto date standards, tableless/xhtml etc. Should i go straight into this or start with html first?

Advice and decent links required Thanks in advance.
i'm going to clear this up nor before people start thinking they're actually different... like when people thougth php was going to be the new html (idiots!)
  • CSS... is just english. the only syntax in CSS is this: { }. that's about it.
  • tableless is just a term. it doesn't mean anything new.. other then you don't use the html tag <table> or anything asociated with it. it's still html
  • you can code a tableless layout in html4. xhtml isn't required for it to work.
  • xhtml just makes it harder to suck at coding.
    • stupid tags don't work anymore. (i'm looking at you blinking text)
    • it suggests all styling mark up (text alignment, colours etc) to be in the hands of the css file since most of the tags were removed (<font><center> ect)
  • the differences between html html and xhtrml .. well.. a child could figure it out. it's nothing complicated. it's pretty much taking common sense and making it manditory (work from inside out -> <strong><em>blarg</em></strong>)

there's som facts to keep in mind. coding websites isn't the most challenging thing... but since nobody likes to actually learn something before saying they can do it, BAM after a few rounds ot telephone, xhtml and html are complicatedly different and CSS can code a layout by itself. (people should really have figured out that telephone doesn't wokr after kintergarden.)

in fact, instead of writing it out here, i'm going to write an article on it to waste some more time as i have nothing to do this cold monday night... yet. go to the article section it'll be there soon.

03-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Lord Kalthorn is offline Lord Kalthorn
Expertise:
Software:

Lord Kalthorn is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Old

If you download Visual Studio 2005 from here then you can have Intellisense which is a great resource in itself for new Programmers. You can set the HTML Version, be it X or D or whatever and CSS 2 if you really want. It is really quite good.

Closed Thread