Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 846 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Free Hosting For TalkFreelance Members?

Thread title: Free Hosting For TalkFreelance Members?
View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good idea?
Yea! 24 63.16%
No! (Please explain why) 14 36.84%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Aros is offline Aros
Expertise:
Software:

Aros is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by talkvb
Rofl... so your saying if talk freelance hosts you, you look professional and versitile? Laugh.
No he's stating simple image upload scripts lack versatility and professionality to present to your clients.

02-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Matt is offline Matt
Expertise:
Software:

Matt is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt Send a message via Yahoo to Matt

Old

Originally Posted by Aros
No he's stating simple image upload scripts lack versatility and professionality to present to your clients.
You hit it right on the dot.

02-04-2006, 07:57 PM
controllerboy is offline controllerboy
Expertise:
Software:

controllerboy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to controllerboy

Old

No. You host several small businesses in your town. Let's say your town is not big, but not small as well, so that you have to host 25 websites for free. Yhat is a good idea.Now, let's see, TalkFreelance has around 200-400 active members. Let's say three or four new members register everyday.In the beginning, you will have some TF members hsoting on your servers for free.Some, that's around 200, some of the active members, and some of the newbies.That would be possible for you, and will be popular since there is a big need for hosting by a lot of our members. Your service is gettng very popular, to the certain point that Robson, the admin puts your site in general tools, in the Rules or somewhere on the forum. New members register, see the possibility of free hosting, and will quickly do what needed for hosting, and obtin it. They will tell their good experiences to friendswho ask if they don't know a good free hosting.Some of their friends will do the effort of registering on TF, and will get hosted by you, too. After a while, you get so much people hosted by you, and at a certain point, you will have to take the requirements higher, or stop doing free hosting or asking a little amount of money. When stopping, you'll have a lot of people dissapointed, and when asking money or making the requirements higher, you'll just lose a lot of members.

anyways, that's just my logical thinking, there's a chance you'll succeed in your purpose an dactualy become a popular free hoster, but you see, besides the point i've mentioned, there are a lot of big free hosters, and some where you really can't compete against.

02-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Matt is offline Matt
Expertise:
Software:

Send a message via AIM to Matt Send a message via MSN to Matt Send a message via Yahoo to Matt

Old

I'm not trying to compete against anyone. Hosting makes me very little money and I never expect it to make much at all. I'm not trying to get popular or recognized, because I don't plan on having an online-based hosting company.

I host local companies because I enjoy server administration.

I want to host TalkFreelance members because I want to help freelancers get their name out.

I make enough money (not much, but enough) to do this. If the time comes when I can’t afford to host additional Freelance members any more, which is very doubtful, I would stop accepting new accounts. This wouldn’t affect the members that are already on the server.

02-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Hosting for free never works because since it isn't paid for, the people being hosted have:

a) no real right to complain about downtime, lag, issues
b) there is no steady contract in place to protect what is being hosted

IMO Free hosting never works out. It takes away the knowledge that people as designers and freelancers need to be able to order their own hosting, setup their own account, link their own domains to the account etc.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

02-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Matt is offline Matt
Expertise:
Software:

Old

velizio,

Everyone has a right to complain about downtime, lag, issues etc.

I would never steal or sell the content being hosted.

You do get what you pay for, but what if you can't pay for anything? This would surely help the freelancers that have no means of paying for hosting.

[QOUTE]IMO Free hosting never works out. It takes away the knowledge that people as designers and freelancers need to be able to order their own hosting, setup their own account, link their own domains to the account etc.[/QUOTE]

The only difference here is that you do not have to pay.

02-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

If you can provide some contracts and legitimate terms and conditions it wouldn't be as bad, but I'm still against the whole idea.

It sounds to me as though you're trying to buy respect with your services. I'm sticking by the saying that "nothing ever comes for free".

02-04-2006, 08:30 PM
Matt is offline Matt
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by velizio
If you can provide some contracts and legitimate terms and conditions it wouldn't be as bad, but I'm still against the whole idea.
That's a possibility.

Originally Posted by velizio
It sounds to me as though you're trying to buy respect with your services. I'm sticking by the saying that "nothing ever comes for free".
If people are going to feel that way then I won't do this; I wanted to help because I can.

02-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Just to add to your comment about freelancers who can't pay for anything:

Freelancer is a term used for somebody who makes money from what they do and do it off their own back. For example someone who can design well enough to make money, doesn't own a corporate identity and doesn't work for someone else = freelancer.

If you can't afford to pay for hosting (some hosts are dirt cheap for good quality) then I don't understand how you can class yourself as "freelancer".

02-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

I think free hosting is a bad idea—full stop. However, if you are going to give out free hosting, you should at least have something to stop loads of new members from just signing up to TF to get free hosting, such as a minimum member length of time.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >