Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 875 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

The new TF marketplace

Thread title: The new TF marketplace
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
07-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Salathe, I am pretty sure Dan was posting that in his repertoire to take the point across. You cannot take that at face value. I certainly didn't, but I got his point.

PS: I would actually prefer to listen to all the various points, ideas and features at this time, and do less commenting. There is simply cannot be what I'd refer to a "bad idea" at this time. Anything goes.

07-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Gatt is offline Gatt
Expertise: Design & Development
Software: Photoshop

Gatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Gatt Send a message via Skype™ to Gatt

Old

In my view It's impossible to select a few people to judge what's worth to be placed in our marketplace, as many have said no one here is to judge what is actual 'quality' because it's all based on opinion.

I think a small fee needs to be paid like Sitepoint do, or maybe a points system? (or just charge money in the same format as points below)

- Listing for advertising.. 5 points (or $5)
- Listing for Domain / Web Hosting etc.. 10 points (or $10)
- Listing for Websites / Designs / Coding 20 points (or $20)
All are examples.

07-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I can tell you right now I would stop listing myself here if there was a fee. Until TF has traffic like sitepoint a fee is unrealistic. You can only hope to charge a fee when you have something of equal value to sellers; which at this point we do not.

07-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Gatt is offline Gatt
Expertise: Design & Development
Software: Photoshop

Gatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Gatt Send a message via Skype™ to Gatt

Old

You have a fair point and I agree. Then really to prevent low-quality designs and etc is very hard to do. As pointed out on the other page a post limit will only lead to spamming. Maybe set a longer wait period to start selling? I think Digital point's rule is 14 days.. but they aren't exactly famous for their quality.

07-25-2010, 11:42 PM
triadink is offline triadink
Software:

triadink is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to triadink Send a message via Yahoo to triadink

Old

I think we need to focus more on the freelancing forums than the marketplace at this time, spend some money and offer some contests...give some incentive to start posting and being more active.

As far as a charge to list items, Talkfreelance does not have the resources and traffic to warrant a fee.

It would be very unprofessional to judge designs to be chosen, even if you picked a group of people who were qualified who's right is it to say something is good and something isn't, it would offend more people than do good.

07-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

That's the single most obnoxious sentiment I've seen on this subject. I really hope you're not serious about wanting to screen only folks who meet your definition of "worthiness". Wow, Artashes, your new staff really have their heads screwed on!
Thanks for your input. Though may I recommend instead of bashing thoughts and suggestions in a bigheaded manner, maybe supply something worthy towards the thread?

In my view It's impossible to select a few people to judge what's worth to be placed in our marketplace, as many have said no one here is to judge what is actual 'quality' because it's all based on opinion.
I don't buy that argument. Judging whether or not a design is rubbish is 9 times 10 common sense, and just because it's not liked doesn't mean it wouldn't pass criteria.

It would be very unprofessional to judge designs to be chosen, even if you picked a group of people who were qualified who's right is it to say something is good and something isn't, it would offend more people than do good.
Why would it be unprofessional? It probably would offend a minority, but that minority is nothing compared to those who actively seek good quailty.

You have a fair point and I agree. Then really to prevent low-quality designs and etc is very hard to do. As pointed out on the other page a post limit will only lead to spamming. Maybe set a longer wait period to start selling? I think Digital point's rule is 14 days.. but they aren't exactly famous for their quality.
I've always seen waiting periods as an inadequate way of preventing spam. It's basically putting the prevention of spam before usability and users.

Thanked by:
Salathe (07-26-2010)
07-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Russ is offline Russ
Expertise: Web Consulting
Software:

Russ is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Russ Send a message via MSN to Russ

Old

Could always offer like premium spots available not only to those who pay a fee but also folks who have earned it through their time on TFL. It could be earned via iTrader ranking, being on staff(extra perk and incentive to work harder), or other misc calculated ways. Premium area would pop up on the main marketplace, then have sub sections for anyone else posting.

Thanked by:
Gaz (07-26-2010)
07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks for your input. Though may I recommend instead of bashing thoughts and suggestions in a bigheaded manner, maybe supply something worthy towards the thread?
No, you may not. I don't often take the time to go out of my way to post "in a bigheaded manner", so when I do it means my usual calm, sedate, thoughtful and considered state has been superseded, temporarily, by some other strong conviction. Please, take the opportunity to note that my contribution was a very, very strong message: that of my immediate revulsion the idea that you put forth. If that's not contributing to the thread, I don't know what is.

I'm not posting, giving my own thoughts and ideas, because quite frankly I want to see what the community thinks (and the sideshow from the staff is an intriguing little distraction). That, and to be quite honest, I am fairly content not being a decision maker. Being a plebian is affording me insight into the community which just was not possible previously.

Anyway, that's enough off-topic. Thanks for your input. Though may I recommend instead of bashing my thoughts and suggestions in a bigheaded manner, maybe... just, don't? Merci.

Thanked by:
Jordan (07-26-2010)
07-26-2010, 06:26 PM
t0m is offline t0m
Expertise:
Software:

t0m is on a distinguished road

Old

You cannot screen posts/market place threads based on what you think of the actual product - its too opinionated. Just because you think something is crap (it may well be), the person still has the right to sell it.

The only way (to fairly) moderate the marketplace is to really tighten the rules and rule them with an iron fist.

Bringing an opinion panel into the equation is frankly ridiculous, as is the idea of charging a fee.

I would actually flip the problem on its head... get rid of the marketplace. Bring back good quality discussion, focussing users on the content - then bring back the marketplace at a later date. Users are selling items through other means anyway these days... for example Anthony Bullock (no comments on him please), sells his stuff via Twitter - and it goes.

Thanked by:
Jordan (07-26-2010)
07-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Charging $5, $10, or $20 to list is ridiculous. Having listings censored is ridiculous.

I think that any listing should be accepted so long that it adheres to the guidelines put in place. No design, domain, script should be kept out just because it's not graphically amazing/pretty/unique, or a domain isn't pronounceable, etc. This isn't a design runway.

Originally Posted by t0m View Post
You cannot screen posts/market place threads based on what you think of the actual product - its too opinionated. Just because you think something is crap (it may well be), the person still has the right to sell it.

The only way (to fairly) moderate the marketplace is to really tighten the rules and rule them with an iron fist.

Bringing an opinion panel into the equation is frankly ridiculous, as is the idea of charging a fee.

I would actually flip the problem on its head... get rid of the marketplace. Bring back good quality discussion, focussing users on the content - then bring back the marketplace at a later date. Users are selling items through other means anyway these days... for example Anthony Bullock (no comments on him please), sells his stuff via Twitter - and it goes.
+1

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >