Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1671 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Dealing with "one more thing"

Thread title: Dealing with "one more thing"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Firefall is offline Firefall
Expertise: Design/Development
Software: Photoshop, Crimson Editor

Firefall is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Firefall Send a message via AIM to Firefall Send a message via MSN to Firefall Send a message via Yahoo to Firefall Send a message via Skype™ to Firefall

Old  Dealing with "one more thing"

I was just recently laid off from a full time web design position with a major company. While exploring my options, I decided to investigate freelance work.

Even with stuff I've done for friends or projects with a volunteer developer for an open source project... I keep encountering "One more thing." I call it "scope creep" but I'm not sure if this is the proper term. (As in the scope of the project creeps larger and larger.)

For example: For that open project I helped with, someone wanted a minor modification to the search function. It would have taken me a few hours on the weekend, so I thought "why not." The person was so happy each step, they kept requesting more. Soon, my weekend project had exploded into a complex modification of the source code. I turned in the little project I'd agreed to and refused to go any further.

That was for free. I'm truly not sure how I'd handle it as a freelancer.

Has anyone else encountered this? How do you handle it? Do you include it in your contract?