Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2115 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

RANT: People in the design/coding community

Thread title: RANT: People in the design/coding community
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
02-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Fraggz is offline Fraggz
Expertise:
Software:

Fraggz is on a distinguished road

Old

Those arent really coders and designers, those are little kids who are out to make money so they can show off to their friends.

02-14-2005, 12:55 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

that's a good point, but it still gives a negative reflection to the business.

scnerio goes, guy 1 is the 'designer', guy 2 knows him and tells other friends looking for a designer about it (say the guy is in a band and needs a site), they come to him with something and he acts like a **** to them, they'll tell all the other bands they play with about it, and we'll go through a nice game of telephone where the message gets skewed and now all designers are ****s.

it sucks sometimes.

02-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Lewis Malpas is offline Lewis Malpas
Expertise:
Software:

Lewis Malpas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lewis Malpas

Old

Those arent really coders and designers, those are little kids who are out to make money so they can show off to their friends.
I understand where your coming from, but alot of good quality designers on this forum are 14-17 and behave in the correct mannor and charge the correct amount of money for the work they do, However there are a few 'kids' who do large amounts of work for next to nothing..

02-15-2005, 07:55 PM
TWM is offline TWM
Software:

TWM is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by BoxedPixels
I totally agree, Just yesterday I was approached by someone requesting a full design/fully coded in html/php with whoiscart installed for 50$, I told him I wouldnt do his project for 50$ (I was quite insulted by 50$) I could make more money working in tesco's.. He also wanted me to copy identically from any website, he even asked me to copy/paste... I am really offedend by this by now.. He then says dont worry I have four other designers who will complete my project for 50$... The normal prices for an amazing template is now around 100$ which is seriously a joke.. But becasue of this if i put a template for sale at 250$+ who is even going to take me seriously ?

Whats your thoughts ?
I agree with you guys. Most people would want you to work a month for 50$.

Personally I don't touch a project under $25/hour ( but that is the lowest I'll go ).

I'm already doing this full time, I don't need the aggravation for 50$. :mad:

I'm sure most of you will agree. I had these *jokers*, who wanted me to do their school project/assignment for 50$.

I don't know what do you think, but as far as I can tell, that is an hours pay.

02-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

If it was 50$ for an hours work i'd galdy accept it, but what he was asking would of taking me alot longer, the work he wanted me to do gos against my principles aswell... Why would I ruin everything ive worked for by copying/ripping a design for 50$ ?

02-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Haret is offline Haret
Expertise:
Software:

Haret is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Haret

Old

very true BoxedPixels.

Another area that really annoys me in those "kiddy designers" is their sense of jealousy. If someone comes up with an original piece of work but it contains traces of inspiration from another design he may have seen, these designers will tend to flame him and call him a cheat and that he has no sense of originality..and that annoys me so much! Inspirations can be from anything: snow, wood, rain, anything! A design can be an inspiration of course.

I've waffled on for too long :P

02-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Its a shame really... Just a small minority of children ruin hard working adults career's.. I also hate the fact "adult businessmen" actually hire these 'kids' becasue of their next to nothing prices...

Nothing I can do to change that I quess...

02-16-2005, 11:16 AM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

I think web design follows trends anyway. I mean, all these white "crystal" coloured layouts are all over the place now, so you can't really say anything about inspired work unless it's OBVIOUSLY a rip, which I've seen posted on this site once already.

I mean, it was so bad it had "saved from url: x" in the comments!

Some people are pathetic! haha.

02-16-2005, 12:57 PM
tarun hari is offline tarun hari
Software:

tarun hari is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by REDLINE
I'm the client, make me happy damnit!
My skills demand respect from the Client. You need to convince me your project is worth my time. You need to convince me that you are a genuine person willing to conpensate well for my time. You need to make me the designer happy under your management. I am not going to grease your arse because you are paying me. Especially if its a small amount of money that I could claim off any chump. Be courtious with the people you work with and in turn they will provide you with outstanding service. If they don't come along to me.

02-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Haret is offline Haret
Expertise:
Software:

Haret is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Haret

Old

Very true tarun, the designer's word must be heard. I couldn't have put it in a better way but as the thread mentions, there are those kiddie designers who just don't know what they're doing. I'm not trying to say I know a helluva lot about business approach, but a lot of things come with common sense, the majority from experience of course.

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >