Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,473
There are 1961 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Sample Contract?

Thread title: Sample Contract?
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM
Vexir is offline Vexir
Expertise:
Software:

Vexir is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Vexir Send a message via Skype™ to Vexir

Old  Sample Contract?

Can anyone provide me with a good example of a freelancing contract? I have to write one myself this weekend and the one in the stickied thread above doesn't work (doesn't open in Word or whatnot).

Thanks!

05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Vexir

Until someone fixes the problem with the sample provided, here are some tips for drafting a contract of your own.

1. Read through the forum. It starts with a a good and basic list of what your contract should include. You'll find clarifications, alternate wordings, additions, etc., in the body of the forum.

2. There are many sample freelancing contracts available on the internet. And in books available at your library or a good bookstore. My advice: don't just look at the first one you find. Look at the different ways to express ideas, or even different problems. Consider the problems you're trying to protect yourself from by using a contract.

3. You can take the information from the forum and the sample contracts and draft workable. Compare what you learned by reading through the forum, and combining the two.

4. Remember that using someone else's contract without running it past someone familiar with your business and commercial law in your city or region is a little like wearing someone else's underwear without washing it first.

05-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Vexir is offline Vexir
Expertise:
Software:

Vexir is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Vexir Send a message via Skype™ to Vexir

Old

Thanks for the advice. I actually had someone who owns a Mac with Word on it to open the file correctly and take screenshots of it. After that, I didn't just copy it, but had my own word document open alongside the sample while reading it. I copied a few words, but mostly I rewrote it to suit my needs. The only problem I foresee are legal holes that I'm not aware of, not being a lawyer, or things that the sample didn't address (I can't think of anything).

05-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I don't think there are any lawyers here, so I doubt you will get a concrete answer.

Just remember the elements of a contract. Make sure that it is very clear what each party is giving, how it is to be given and what happens if it goes wrong.