Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1617 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

css with IE 6 on Imac

Thread title: css with IE 6 on Imac
Closed Thread    
03-28-2006, 09:20 PM
juliav is offline juliav
Expertise:
Software:

juliav is on a distinguished road

Old  css with IE 6 on Imac

Hello.
I like to write xhtml using divs and css to dictate the layout. I've got IE, Opera and Firefox on my windows xp system and repeatedly check all three for compatibility. My latest project looks perfect on my computer, but unfortunately my client is running IE 6 on an IMAC, and the layout is seriously wonky.
Has anyone solved this problem before? It's not come up for me until now.

The URL is: www.johnmuir.org/walk

Thank you!

- julia v.

03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
jono1 is offline jono1
Expertise:
Software:

jono1 is on a distinguished road

Old

a) There's no such thing as IE 6 on a Mac. Microsoft (rightfully) gave up on the project after IE5.
b) IE5 for mac is generally regarded as the most screwed up browser on the planet, it has serious, seriously bad CSS rendering. Tell your client to get a proper browser like Camino, Safari or Firefox.

03-28-2006, 10:55 PM
juliav is offline juliav
Expertise:
Software:

juliav is on a distinguished road

Old

My mistake then, it's IE5. I did suggest he upgrade, but he'd still like to use it, as the OS he is working off of is not compatible with the newer browsers. Just about every other browser/OS combination renders correctly- I'll admit I didn't check for linux. I know that the percentage of users with this combination is low, but the audience for which this website is intended may not have the newest everything. Most importantly, my client is using it so if I'd like to collect the rest of my paycheck it behooves me to make this work.
I certainly agree with your assertion that it is the most screwed up browser and I'd perfer to not have to deal with it. BUT! If there is a way to construct a CSS driven layout that works reasonably well therein, I'd like to know about it.
Thanks,
Julia v.

03-29-2006, 09:28 PM
jabberwocky is offline jabberwocky
Expertise:
Software:

jabberwocky is on a distinguished road

Old

from what i have seen, wieghing the cost of development for IE5 on a mac, to what issues you will be facing on an hourly basis, the overall cost far exceeds the intial cost of the design and development. thats just me though.

many other developers i know off wont even touch this rotten apple. it is unfortunatly a huge mess. probably best course of action is to use CSS as little as possible, and stick to tables and font tags

Closed Thread